Follow Me – Part 2: Distinguishing Characteristics of a DiscipleApril 18, 2021
Follow Me: Becoming a Disciple of Jesus
Part 2: What are the distinguishing characteristics of a disciple?
What does it mean to be a Follower of Jesus?
1. Following Jesus means loving Him above anything or anyone else in my life.
2. Following Jesus may not always be convenient.
3. Following Jesus may cause tension with other people in your life.
4. Following Jesus means letting Him direct every aspect of your life.
5. Following Jesus means putting Him above everything else in our lives.
A Christ-Follower moves from curious to convinced to committed…
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1
Discipleship involves yourself to God as a “living sacrifice.”
Three Distinguishing Characteristics of a Disciple
1. A disciple of Jesus will .
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. John 8:31
“Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:42
32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32.
2. A disciple of Jesus will .
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
- Love for one another is a … Jesus said, “a new command I give you…”.
- When it is hard to love another, remember Jesus loves you… Jesus said to love “as I have loved you.”
- When you don’t want to love another, … Jesus says you “must love one another.”
3. A disciple of Jesus will .
8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. John 15:8
16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Matthew 7:16-18
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, Galatians 5:19-20.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:22-24
10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
We produce fruit when when we to the vine!
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
Abiding in Christ pictures an intimate, loving ; not just a superficial .