Why Do I Do What I Don’t Want to Do?June 13, 2020
Breaking Free From Besetting Sins
Why Do I Do What I Don’t Want to Do?
A. What do have a hard time ?
6. Sexual desires
8. Other bad habits
II. Why Can’t I Change?
A. The problem
1. Romans 7:15-16, 18 (NAS) 15For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
2. Mark 14:38b (NAS) “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
3. aren’t enough!
B. The results of the problem:
3. and discouragement
a. Romans 7:24 (NAS) Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
C. The good news
1. You !
III. God’s Promise to You
A. John 8:32 (NAS) “And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
1. The secret to personal change is not !
2. You break free from a besetting sin by the !
3. The way you determines the way you . And the way you feel determines the way you !
4. Most people just try to work on their (their external behavior).
a. God says to start with your !
b. Bad cause bad !
c. If you’re going to change the way you , you must first change the way you !
B. Behind every self-defeating behavior is a that I’m believing.
1. I’m believing something about myself (or God, others, success, failure, life, my past, present, future, etc.), that is !
IV. The Foundation for Breaking Free From Besetting Sins:
A. Acknowledge that the of my “problem” is .
1. I John 1:8 (NAS) If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
2. The basic attitude of sin: “I’m in and I don’t need .”
3. If I want to break free from besetting sins, I must stop myself.
B. Admit that is the only One who can me.
1. John 14:6 (NAS) “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”
2. Romans 7:24-25a (NAS) 24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
C. all that I to Jesus Christ
1. “Why should I do that?”
a. Because nothing else !
2. II Corinthians 5:17 (NAS) Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
3. II Timothy 1:7 (NAS) For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.
D. Happiness is a . God gives you a free will to do whatever you want with your life.
1. God says, “You can depend on , or you can depend on Me. But, you have to live with the !”
2. can be the turning point in your life!