Understanding the Meaning of a TextFebruary 11, 2023
40 Days in the Word
Understanding the Meaning of a Text
John 15:1-5 (NIV) 1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me, and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
John 15:1, 5 (NIV) 1“I am the true vine….” 5” I am the vine; you are the branches.”
John 15:1, 5 (NIV) 1“I am the true vine.…” 5“ I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
A. Observation – What does this Bible passage ?
1. John 15:4 (NLT) “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.”
2. The word “remain” (“meno” in Greek) means “to , to continue, to connect, to abide, to last.”
a. Bearing fruit is produced by in Christ!
3. John 15:8 (NLT) “When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.”
a. Bearing fruit brings great to God!
b. Faithfulness will lead to !
4. John 15:11 (NLT) “I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!”
a. Bearing fruit will give me overflowing !
5. The purpose of the Bible is to God—not God!
B. Interpretation – What does this Bible passage ?
1. John 15:7 (NLT) “But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!”
2. “Remaining in Jesus” produces prayer!
3. Prayer is connecting to the of Almighty God!
4. If God doesn’t give you what you’re asking for, it’s oftentimes because He wants to give you something !
5. John 14:13-14(NLT) 13 “You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!”
6. What do you need to be for right now in your life?
7. John 16:24 (NLT) “You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.”
a. Answered prayer gives me abundant !
b. When we don’t pray—we’re actually out of glory!
8. I bear fruit by in prayer!
9. Prayer is at the of all fruit!
10. Prayer should be our !
11. Much prayer equals much . Little prayer equals little fruit.
C. Application – What am I going to about this passage of Scripture?
1. Matthew 7:24 (NAS) “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
2. You have to the teaching from the Bible in order for your life to be changed!
3. What’s an area of your life where you want to bear ?
4. Commit to regularly over one area of your life where you want to see more fruit!
John 15:5 (NIV) “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
Philippians 1:6 (NIV) Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.