The Importance of HonorFebruary 19, 2022
The Importance of Honor
A. I Peter 2:17 (NKJV) Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.
1. : To hold in –, place on or show
II. Honor All People
A. Those to our care
1. Ephesians 6:4 (NLT) Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
2. Hebrews 12:6 (NLT) “For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.”
3. Colossians 4:1 (NLT) Masters, be just and fair to your slaves. Remember that you also have a Master—in heaven.
4. Proverbs 14:31 (NLT) Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors him.
B. Those us – “The Brotherhood”
1. Matthew 12:48-50 (NLT) 48Jesus asked, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 49Then he pointed to his disciples and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. 50Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother!”
2. Romans 12:10 (NIV) Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
C. Those in over us – “The king”
1. “The king” = literally and also those in
2. Ephesians 6:2-3 (NLT) 2“Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: 3If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.”
3. I Peter 2:18 (NKJV) Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh.
a. “Harsh” = = crooked, tyrannical, or unjust.
b. Romans 13:1 (NLT) Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.
1. Matthew 10:28 (NLT) “Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”
2. Proverbs 9:10 (NLT) Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment.