The Cure for PrideJune 20, 2020
Breaking Free From Besetting Sins
The Cure for Pride
A. How do I get the to make the in my life I want to make?
1. James 4:6 (NAS) But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
3. John 1:14 (NAS) “Jesus was full of grace and truth.”
B. Two Kinds of Pride:
1. “” pride – – self-respect, dignity, satisfaction in a job well done, joy in seeing others succeed, etc.
2. “” pride – – conceit, egotism, selfishness, attitude of superiority, etc.
C. Pride is very easy to see in people, but it’s hard to see in .
II. Problems that Pride Causes:
A. Pride prevents me from .
1. Proverbs 26:12 (NLT) There is more hope for fools than for people who think they are wise.
2. Proverbs 10:17 (NAS) He is on the path of life who heeds instruction, but he who ignores reproof goes astray.
3. Pride keeps me from getting any .
4. Most people would rather smart than smart!
B. Pride my relationships.
1. When we act out of pride, we tend to be and unsympathetic.
2. “ way is the way!”
3. The root of so many marriage problems is plain, old !
4. When I refuse to admit that part of the , that’s pride.
5. So many family could be resolved if we’d just admit our pride and ourselves before each other.
6. The key to reconciliation: your !
C. Pride causes and .
1. When I’m prideful, I worry a lot about my “.”
2. We live in a very “–” society! We’re very concerned about status, image, position, etc.
a. Part of what pride is, is the of .
b. Proverbs 29:25 (NAS) The fear of man brings a snare, but he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted.
3. Pride can cause .
4. is the mark of an emotionally person!
III. The Way to Humility and Happiness:
A. my honestly.
1. Proverbs 28:13 (NAS) He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.
2. If I don’t my weaknesses, I can’t on them.
B. my realistically.
1. Pride is based on a evaluation of ourselves. Humility is based on and reality.
2. Romans 12:3a (NLT) Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves.
3. Humility does not mean putting yourself .
4. Humility is being about your weaknesses and for your strengths!
5. Your strengths are given to you by ! They’re nothing to be about!
C. Be for my .
1. James 1:17a (NAS) Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights.
2. Psalm 24:1 (NAS) The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it.
3. you have comes from !
4. Always remember two things:
a. is the source of my .
b. Where I’ve from.
D. others .
1. The rise of in America comes from the “” generation, “What’s best for me?”
a. When you live only for , you’re asking for .
b. The more you other people, the more it gets the focus off of and lifts you out of depression.
2. Philippians 2:3-4 (NAS) 3Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
E. myself .
1. James 4:10 (NAS) Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
2. Humility is a . It’s something you do!
a. It’s a of the way you think, talk, act, respond to others, etc.
3. If you yourself, God to exalt you!