Putting an End to ProcrastinationAugust 15, 2020 / Brian T. Anderson / Vineyard Church North Phoenix
Breaking Free From Besetting Sins
Putting an End to Procrastination
A. James 4:17 (NLT) Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
II. The Causes of Procrastination
1. Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NAS) He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.
III. The Cost of Procrastination
A. It causes more
1. Procrastination takes a and makes it into a !
2. The longer we wait to start, the it becomes to begin.
B. It wastes
1. Proverbs 20:4 (NAS) The sluggard does not plow after the autumn, so he begs during the harvest and has nothing.
C. It hurts
1. Laziness prevents us from being .
a. Love requires commitment, energy and .
2. “Marriages oftentimes break up because the root cause is . Both partners knew exactly what needed to be done to make the marriage work, but they weren’t willing to make the .”
IV. The Cure for Procrastination
A. Stop making !
1. Proverbs 22:13 (NAS) The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside; I will be killed in the streets!”
2. “One of these days I’m going to .”
1. Proverbs 27:1 (NAS) Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.
2. Three life-changing words: !
3. What projects in your family, your personal life, or your career have you been ?
4. List them:
5. Choose one of the above to start ! Just starting is going to make you feel so much better.
C. Schedule for those things you’ve been putting off
2. You have to !
D. Focus on the , not the
1. Look at the rather than the temporary .
2. Wrong question: “Do I like doing this?”
3. Right question: “What does want me to do?”
V. Two Personal Questions
A. What is it that needs in your life that you’ve been putting off? (You know God wants you to do it.)
1. Join the church, get baptized, find a ministry, start daily devotions, go on a diet, get in shape, begin tithing, etc.
B. What is it going to to get you in ?
1. God says, “I want to in this area. Ask Me to help you!”