PowerMarch 27, 2021 / Brian T. Anderson / Vineyard Church North Phoenix
Money, Sex and Power
II. True Stories About Powerful People
1. Judges 16:21 (NLT) So the Philistines captured him and gouged out his eyes. They took him to Gaza, where he was bound with bronze chains and forced to grind grain in the prison.
2. His weakness was that he couldn’t control his .
3. Judges 14:1-2 (NLT) 1One day when Samson was in Timnah, one of the Philistine women caught his eye. 2When he returned home, he told his father and mother, “A young Philistine woman in Timnah caught my eye. I want to marry her. Get her for me.”
4. Judges 16:1 (NLT) One day Samson went to the Philistine town of Gaza and spent the night with a prostitute.
5. Judges 16:4 (NLT) Some time later Samson fell in love with a woman named Delilah, who lived in the valley of Sorek.
1. Matthew 26:33 (NLT) Peter declared, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.”
2. Matthew 26:74-75 (NLT) 74Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed. 75Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly.
1. John 19:10 (NLT) “Why don’t you talk to me?” Pilate demanded. “Don’t you realize that I have the power to release you or crucify you?”
2. Luke 23:22-24 (NLT) 22For the third time he demanded, “Why? What crime has he committed? I have found no reason to sentence him to death. So I will have him flogged, and then I will release him.” 23But the mob shouted louder and louder, demanding that Jesus be crucified, and their voices prevailed. 24So Pilate sentenced Jesus to die as they demanded.
III. How Do You Access God’s “Internal Power”?
A. You have to, first of all, you need !
1. Psalm 38:4, 22 (NLT) 4My guilt overwhelms me— it is a burden too heavy to bear. 22Come quickly to help me, O Lord my savior.
B. some that deal with the areas you need help in!
1. Mouth – Psalm 141:3, Proverbs 21:23
2. – Proverbs 4:25, Job 31:1, Psalm 101:3
3. Fear of man – Proverbs 29:25
4. – (in general) II Timothy 1:7
5. Temptation – I Corinthians 10:13
6. Philippians 4:13 (NAS) I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
7. I’ve never been able to do this without the strength of the of present in the forefront of my mind.