How to Escape From Temptation
July 18, 2020
Breaking Free From Besetting Sins
How to Escape From Temptation
A. I Corinthians 10:13 (NAS) No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
II. How to Escape From Temptation
A. Be willing to do what the says
1. Psalm 119:9 (NAS) How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.
2. If you make a commitment to do what the Bible says, no matter what, your life will run more .
3. I Thessalonians 4:3 (NAS) For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality.
4. Proverbs 5:18-19 (NAS) 18Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19As a loving hind and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times; be exhilarated always with her love.
5. God says that sex is to be in !
6. Until you settle the fact that God’s Word is the for your , you’re going to give in to all kinds of temptation in life.
B. Work on your
1. Proverbs 5:18-19 (NAS) 18Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19As a loving hind and a graceful doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times; be exhilarated always with her love.
2. God is –!
3. “Satisfy you” – – This means don’t your spouse to other people!
4. The “grass is greener” where you it!
5. I Corinthians 7:5 (NLT) Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
a. Sex is a spiritual for married people!
C. Control your
1. James 1:14-15 (NAS) 14But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. 15Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
2. The spiritual battle always begins in our . The enemy tries to get our first. If he can do that, it will then affect our feelings which will eventually affect our .
3. The key to victory is to your mental !
4. Matthew 5:28 (NAS) “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
D. Monitor your and intake
1. sells everything today!
2. Matthew 6:22-23a (NLT) 22“Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. 23But when your eye is bad, your whole body is filled with darkness.”
a. What you is what you !
3. Psalm 101:3a (NAS) I will set no worthless thing before my eyes.
4. II Timothy 2:22a (NAS) Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace.
E. Minimize the for temptation
1. Matthew 26:41 (NAS) “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
2. Two Preventative Techniques:
a. – – Be alert, be wise. Know the situations that tempt you.
b. – – Right then!
3. Choose your carefully
a. I Corinthians 15:33 (NAS) Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.”
b. People who condone or encourage or behavior, are not real friends!
c. You become like those to you.
F. Magnify the of giving in to temptation
1. Always ask yourself with every temptation, “Will this be ?”
2. There are enormous for breaking God’s laws!
3. When you break God’s Word, somewhere down the road it ends up breaking .
4. Magnify the consequences of temptation too!
a. James 1:12 (NLT) God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
b. The result of resisting temptation is in heaven and in your heart now!
III. Where Do I Go From Here?
A. There are two groups of people watching:
1. Those who have
a. You can today!
2. Those who have remained
a. “Way to go! Wait for My !”
B. Married People – – make a commitment to be to your spouse for the rest of your life!
C. Everybody – – make a commitment to live a !