God’s Financial “Commandments”February 27, 2021 / Brian T. Anderson / Vineyard Church North Phoenix
Money, Sex and Power
God’s Financial “Commandments”
A. Recap of the first four “Commandments” about finances
1. Thou shalt work hard.
2. Thou shalt establish a financial and stick to it.
3. Thou shalt avoid like the plague!
4. Thou shalt distinguish between wants and needs.
II. God’s Financial “Commandments”
A. Thou shalt determine when is .
1. Luke 12:20-21 (NLT) 20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’ 21Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.”
2. Matthew 6:19-21 (NAS) 19“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
B. Thou shalt get involved with –– schemes.
1. Proverbs 12:11 (NLT) A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense.
2. Proverbs 13:11 (NLT) Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time.
3. Proverbs 28:22 (NLT) Greedy people try to get rich quick, but don’t realize they’re headed for poverty.
C. Thou shalt with the Joneses.
1. Exodus 20:17 (NLT) “You must not covet your neighbor’s house. You must not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.”
D. Thou shalt make a major financial decision without getting first.
1. Proverbs 24:6 (NAS) For by wise guidance you will wage war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.
2. Proverbs 20:18 (NAS) Prepare plans by consultation, and make war by wise guidance.
3. Proverbs 29:23 (NAS) A man’s pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor.
4. Proverbs 16:18 (NAS) Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.
5. Proverbs 11:2 (NAS) When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom.
E. Thou shalt corrupt your with .
1. Proverbs 22:6 (NAS) Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.
2. One of the best you can give your children is a thorough understanding of money management principles.
F. Thou shalt orient your around .
1. Mark 12:30-31 (NLT) 30“‘And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ 31The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”
2. Jesus was saying that the true in life is .
3. “Which ones am I doing well in, and which ones do I need to on?”
III. God’s Financial “Commandments”
A. Thou shalt work hard.
B. Thou shalt establish a financial plan and stick to it.
C. Thou shalt avoid debt like the plague.
D. Thou shalt distinguish between wants and needs.
E. Thou shalt determine when enough is enough.
F. Thou shalt not get involved with get-rich-quick schemes.
G. Thou shalt not compete with the Joneses.
H. Thou shalt not make a major financial decision without getting wise counsel first.
I. Thou shalt not corrupt your children with money.
J. Thou shalt not orient your around money.