Expressing Anger Appropriately
August 22, 2020 / Ephesians 4:26
Breaking Free From Besetting Sins
Expressing Anger Appropriately
A. Facts about anger
1. The average loses his temper 6 times a week.
2. The average loses her temper 3 times a week.
3. Women get angry more often at .
4. Men get angry more often at .
5. Single adults express anger as often as married adults.
6. Men are more with their anger than women.
7. Human beings express anger more often at than any other place.
8. Anger is the most frequent and intense toward those we .
B. Fact: We get angry. We just it in different ways. Anger is a God-given emotion.
1. got angry. God the Father got angry.
2. Ephesians 4:26a (NAS) Be angry, and yet do not sin.
3. The issue is: “How can I my anger in non-destructive (appropriate) ways?”
II. Ways People Express Anger:
1. Genesis 4:5, 8b (NAS) 5But for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. 8And it came about when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.
2. This type of person usually their anger afterward.
1. The number one sign of a martyr is .
a. Depression is often anger.
III. How to Express Anger Appropriately:
A. Understand you get angry
1. Proverbs 19:11a (NAS) A man’s discretion makes him slow to anger.
2. Anger is a warning light that tells you there’s something else that’s wrong!
3. Three most common causes of anger:
a. (physical or emotional)
c. or fear – – We get angry when we feel threatened or afraid.
B. Look to , not for your self-worth
1. The more I am, the more I depend on opinion of me to make me feel good about myself.
2. Proverbs 14:26a (NAS) In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence.
3. If likes me and I like me, and you don’t like me, then have a problem!
4. The key to this is you have to learn what says about you!
C. Stop and before reacting
1. Proverbs 21:23 (NAS) He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from troubles.
2. Proverbs 17:27 (NAS) He who restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.
3. The key word in anger management is “.”
a. You need time to before you react!
b. Therefore, you need to your response!
4. Ask yourself:
a. am I angry?
b. What do I really out of this encounter?
c. How can I get it?
5. When you feel angry, stop and ask yourself, “Do I to get angry?” Then you can choose to it.
6. Controlling the expression of your anger starts with a to change.
a. Proverbs 29:11 (NAS) A fool always loses his temper, but a wise man holds it back.
D. Learn to
1. Proverbs 14:30a (NAS) A tranquil heart is life to the body.
2. tend to bring out the worst in us!
3. Suggestions on helping you relax:
a. Be aware when is building up in your life.
i. Know that it will come out eventually
ii. When you’re tense and fatigued, it’s easy to get in .
b. Learn some techniques
i. Aerobic exercise reduces stress.
ii. Take some deep
c. Develop a sense of .
E. Continually ask for
1. When you’re filled with , it takes a lot to upset you.
2. Ask for the to fill you regularly.
a. Ephesians 5:18 (NAS) And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit.
3. can the “deeper issues” that are causing your anger.