Life Groups Study – Week of 11/1November 1, 2020 / Trinity Church - Waxahachie
All Of The Feels: I’m Overwhelmed
On Sunday, Pastor Lennon preached about the emotion “overwhelm”. What is your reaction to that word? What are some thoughts you wrote down concerning that emotion?
On a scale of 1 being low and 10 being high….
How many times a week do you use the word “overwhelmed” _______
How many times do people in your daily circle use the word of describe the feeling of “being overwhelmed”. ______
How do you think this emotion contradicts the “peace that Jesus can give”?
This Is God’s Word
Spend some time before Life Group thinking about this passage:
Psalm 73:21–28 (CSB)21 When I became embitteredand my innermost being was wounded, 22 I was stupid and didn’t understand; I was an unthinking animal toward you. 23 Yet I am always with you; you hold my right hand. 24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me up in glory., 25 Who do I have in heaven but you?And I desire nothing on earth but you. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever. 27 Those far from you will certainly perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. 28 But as for me, God’s presence is my good. I have made the Lord God my refuge, so I can tell about all you do.
Question: What are some words that stand out to you in this passage of Scripture ?
Let’s Go Deeper
QUESTION: What are some of the “little things” that build in your life which begins the “overwhelmed” feeling? Choose some.
Finances. Work. Children. Extended Family. Busy schedules. Sense of Failure. Rejection. Sense of Shame. Anger. Pity. Disappointments. Grief. Loneliness. Inadequacy.
What are your top 2?
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: Pastor gave us 10 Scriptural ways to handle “OVERWHELM”
Let’s process them together and see how we can grow in our application of dealing with these feelings. (If your life group is large, feel free to consider breaking into smaller groups for the sake of this discussion)
- Grow in your KNOWLEDGE of spiritual principles. Don’t stay where you are. Read and discuss this passage. 2 Peter 3:18 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. How does this apply to the feelings happening in the moment of your distress?
- Live in God’s WORD and let His word live in YOU. Read Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against thee. Have you written down a Scripture that brings comfort to you in times of distress and read it aloud in the moment? Share with us one of your favorite Scripture passages
- Take care of YOURSELF, because no one else can do that for you. What are some ways you take care of yourself spiritually?
- Keep SHARING LIFE , because we are all weaker alone. Who are 2 trusted friends that you can confide in and will actually stop and pray for you? Do you have to ask them? Do they volunteer? How can you be this friend to someone God has placed in your path? Life groups is our opportunity to build these relationships and be involved with people whom we call church family.
- Walk by faith in God’s POWER and CHARACTER. James 4:7 Submit yourselves to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you. How would you practice this application when feeling overwhelmed?
- Worship your way to JOY. Tell of us of a experience when you begin to worship in the midst of a crisis or a cloudy day of emotions-what song came in to your Spirit-do you still remember that feeling?
- PRAY and allow God to strengthen you. What is your best physical posture to pray during an overwhelming crisis?
- SERVE God with a whole-hearted commitment. When in doubt, how do you get focus back on the Lord. Nature? Scripture reading? Prayer? Taking with a friend? Going to a church building? Kneeling?
- Watch your WORDS. Proverbs 18:21 MSG Words kill, words give life; they are either poison or fruit. You choose. What are your favorite life giving words you give to others? You speak aloud yourself?
- Acknowledge our WEAKNESS and depend on God’s grace. Share one prayer request that you want us to pray for regarding your “feelings” as we close.