Chasing Carrots: PerfectionismMay 16, 2021 / The Bridge Community Church North
“Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matthew 5:48 NIV
THREE TYPES OF PERFECTIONISTS
- Self-oriented Perfectionist: You hold unrealistically high expectations of yourself and battle with feelings of guilt, often obsessing to the point of inefficiency. You’re prone to procrastinate and struggle with deep feelings of inadequacy.
- Externally-oriented Perfectionist: You believe others expect you to be perfect. To cope with the pressure, you often use self-deprecating humor as a defense. You often feel alone, depressed, and desperate because you know you will never be enough.
- Others-oriented Perfectionist: You expect others to live up to your impossible standards. Because you tend to lack empathy, you often tear others down or use abrasive and demeaning humor toward those who don’t meet your standards.
THE SPIRITUAL SIDE OF PERFECTIONISM
For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are. Romans 3:20 NLT
… The law simply shows us how sinful we are. Romans 3:20 NLT
We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. Romans 3:22 NLT
What I do
If I obey, God will love me
Winning God’s approval
What Jesus has done
Because God loves, I can obey
Living from God’s approval
My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part, but the whole
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
BECAUSE THE PRESSURE IS OFF
- Choose people over perfection.
But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42 NLT
- Choose perfect love over perfect performance.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you …46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matthew 5:43-44, 46-48 NIV