The Sanctifying Work of The Holy Spirit
April 19, 2021
The Holy Spirit Series
Part V. The Sanctifying Work of The Holy Spirit
The Ultimate Goal for Individual Christians, is to the image of Christ—to be into the image of Christ!
Rom 8:29 NASB For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren
WE MUST ASK THE QUESTION:
- How does this happen?
- How do we move from looking LIKE a first degree spiritual sasquatch—to the image OF CHRIST?—slowly
- How do we transform into the image of Christ!
This is accomplished in these five ways:
- The Truth of God’s Word
- Divine rebuke and discipline
- Divine Grief
- God’s Word
- Divine Intercession
LET’S FACE IT! WHEN WE BECOME CHRISTIANS….that’s not the end of the story!
We need the Holy Spirit
We need work to be done in US in order to be transformed to look like CHRIST!
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT SPEAKS AND IMPLANTS TRUTH AS A MEANS OF SANCTIFICATION
Joh 16:13-15 NASB “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide into all the ; for He will not speak on His own initiative, ; and He will disclose to you what is to come. (14) “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. (15) “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.
- Walking through this life is hard enough, and WITHOUT TRUTH it’s even harder!
- The entire world has an idea of what TRUTH is—and WHERE truth is.
- The pluralism of the world
- The preference driven culture
- The relativistic morality
- ALL SPEAK to the world trying to hammer OUT THEIR OWN TRUTH
- WHAT IS TRUTH??
- Truth is
- Truth is THAT THING THAT
- Truth is
- THE world thinks that it has found truth
- You ask the world….and the world will tell you ALL THE TRUTH you need to know!
- Life evolved on earth
- There is nothing outside our universe
- We can make our own morality—you can be “good” without God
- Juxtaposed to the world’s understanding of truth is the HOLY SPIRIT OF TRUTH
- Who will SPEAK what he HEARTS from heaven
- Whatever HE speaks will glorify CHRIST!
- What has HE HEARD?! –“JESUS IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE”
- You can only enter HEAVEN through HIS WAY—with HIS TRUTH—and BECAUSE OF HIS LIFE
- You want the TRUTH of LIFE? –receive Jesus into your HEART, and the HOLY SPIRIT will FLOOD your life with REAL and GENUINE TRUTH
- The Sanctifying work of the Spirit in the Cleansing work of the Truth of God’s
- Is removing FALSHOODS from your life
- Removing lies from your heart
- And MOST IMPORTANT—inplanting REAL truth into your SOUL and SPIRIT
The Holy Spirit will deeper sanctify the believer through the process of implanting truth
II. THE HOLY SPIRIT USES DIVINE and AS A MEANS OF SANCTIFICATION
Joh 16:7-11 NASB “But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. (8) “And He, when He comes, and righteousness and judgment; (9) concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; (10) and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; (11) and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
How many of you are familiar with this passage?
Believe it or not, there is a lot of controversy surrounding this passage!
This passage has been taken our of context to mean something that it shouldn’t
SOME believe this passage to mean:
- The Holy Spirit will convict believers of their sins
- The Holy Spirit will convict believers of what is righteous/justice
- The Holy Spirit will convict believers of proper judgement
This is an INCORRECT understanding of this passage…and it’s not necessarily OUR fault
Many pastors, preachers, and teachers have interpreted this passage this way, and have perpetuated this misunderstanding and application
THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS
- The Holy Spirit convicts the of its rejection of Christ (vs. 8)
- The word “sin” is not meant to carry the sense of moral failure OR transgression of the law
- But this verse contextually carries the sense of rejection of Jesus Christ and his message
- THUS the world is rejecting Christ, and this verse CANNOT mean “conviction of believers,” because Christians have received Jesus Christ!
- This speaks only of the WORLD, not believers
- We know that this is speaking of the with regard to SALVATION because it’s used in a similar context in 1 Cor. 14:24-25
- Where the Holy Spirit convicts unbelievers of sin AND need for CHRIST
- 1 Co 14:24-25 NASB But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; (25) the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
BELIEVERS ARE REBUKED AND DISCIPLINED BY GOD AS CHILDREN, NOT CONVICTED OF THE CONDEMNING SIN REJECTING CHRIST!
WHAT DOES REBUKING LOOK LIKE AND HOW IS IT DONE?
THE MOST FAMOUS EXAMPLE IS WHEN PETER DERAILED IN HIS UNDERSTANDING OF CHRIST…..AND WAS REBUKED
- Mar 8:31-33 NASB And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. (32) And He was stating the matter plainly. And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke (33) But turning around and seeing His disciples, He rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”
- Jesus rebuked Peter in order to set him on a proper path of thinking and behavior
- Mat 18:15 NASB “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
- You can be rebuked by God, AND rebuked by a fellow believer
- But this must be done with love and gentleness
- Because there is a spiritual struggle FOR THEIR SOUL
- Gal 6:1-2 NASB Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. (2) Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
- Heb 12:3-14 NASB For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (4) You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin; (5) and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, “MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM; (6) FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.” (7) It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? (8) But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. (9) Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? (10) For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. (11) All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. (12) Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, (13) and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed. (14) Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.
- In Jesus’ own words—Rev 3:19 NASB “Those whom I love, I reprove (rebuke, show them their fault) and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.
III. THE HOLY SPIRIT USES DIVINE GRIEF AS A MEANS OF SANCTIFICATION
Eph 4:29-32 NASB Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. (30) Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. (31) Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (32) Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
WHAT IS MEANT BY THIS STATEMENT?
LET ME FIRST TELL YOU WHAT THIS STATEMENT IS NOT:
- It is NOT an attempt to say that grieving the Holy Spirit is good
- It is NOT an attempt to say that God enjoys it when He is grieved because it means someone is about to be changed for the better
- It is NOT an attempt to provide an exhaustive list of all the things that grieve the Spirit
ALL THAT IS MEANT IS THIS:
- There are times in our lives when we are trailing into our own sins, will, or desires.
- Whether in speech or actions
- Whether to ourselves or others
- In these times, actually can cause The Holy Spirit to have grief/or sorrow/ or vexation / or sadness
THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT
- The Holy Spirit you saved you
- The Holy Spirit who takes you as a tender shoot and raises you to a mighty OAK
- The Holy Spirit who sealed you in Christ
- The Holy Spirit who adopted you into the family of God
- Watches on as His child wreaks destruction in their lives
- Watches as they damage themselves and/or others
- Watches as they hurt and pierce themselves through with many sorrows
- Watches as HIS CHILD moves closer to the image of the world and further from the image of Christ
ANY SIN OR SPIRITUAL OFFENSE OR ACTION THAT RAISES THE IMAGE OF THE WORLD IN YOU….THE OLD MAN….AND TRAMPLES THE IMAGE OF CHRIST
- Is something that grieves the Holy Spirit
HAVE YOU EVER FELT THE SORROW OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN YOU?
- He will never condemn you to death BECAUSE you already exist in HIS LIFE, and YOU WERE SEALED! It’s a DONE DEAL!
- HIS SORROW, SADNESS, GREIF over your SIN will WRENCH YOUR SOUL…..to the POINT of PAIN IF YOU CONTINUE IN IT!
WHY DOES HE DO THIS? WHY DOES HE ALLOW HIS GRIEF TO WRENCH YOUR SOUL?
IT IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF REPENTANCE AND MOVING BACK ON TRACK TO BE FORMED INTO THE IMAGE OF CHRIST MORE AND MORE
2Co 7:9-10 NASB I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. (10) For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.
- When the Holy Spirit grieves inside you, YOU WILL FEEL IT
- You will KNOW that you have hurt the LOVE of your soul
- AND YOU WILL KNOW that HE IS CALLING YOU HOME….calling you back!
- BECKONING your repentance
DIVINE GREIF WORKS SPIRITUAL POISON FROM YOUR SOUL IN ORDER TO DEEPER SANCTIFY YOU TO LOOK LIKE CHRIST!
IV. THE HOLY SPIRIT USES GOD’S WORD/SCRIPTURE AS A MEANS OF DEEPER SANCTIFICATION
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE OVERSEER OF YOUR SOULS….THE ONE RESPONSIBLE AND TASKED WITH THE MISSION TO FORM AND SHAPE YOU INTO CHRIST
AMONG THE MEANS OF SANCTIFICATION, THIS MAY BE THE MOST OBVIOUS
THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS GOD’S WORD IN YOU TO DEEPER SANCTIFY YOU TO LOOK LIKE CHRIST
Joh 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.
THIS IS WHY IT’S SO VITALLY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SCRIPTURE A PRIORITY IN OUR LIVES
WE MUST ALLOW SCRIPTURE/GOD’S WORD TO SATURATE OUR SOULS AND HEARTS, TO MOVE AND SIFT DOWN INTO THE DEPTHS OF OUR HEARTS AND SOULS
THIS IS WHY ONE OF THE GREATEST AND MOST COMMON PRACTICES IN THE ANCIENT CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST WAS TO
1 Ti 4:13 (13) Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.
- The PUBLIC reading of scripture was for the purpose of IMPLANTING GOD’S word into the congregation
- They knew that the WORD does not return void, and they COULD GET WORD into people…..great things would happen IN them and THROUGH them
THERE IS A LIST OF GREAT THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN SCRIPTURE IS RELEASED INTO THE HEARTS OF GOD’S PEOPLE
2 Ti 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; (17) so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
- God’s Word
- Orients the mind and heart to proper thinking and truth
- God’s Word and God’s truth and message
- Puts down arguments and defends His children
- Also points out things in our lives that need to change
- God’s Word
- Moves into the deepest parts of our souls and transforms us AS THE PURE WORD cleanses our souls of the OLD MAN
- God’s Word in righteousness
- Shows us the wrong way to walk
- Shows us the right way to walk and think and move in this life
THE BEAUTIFUL THING ABOUT GOD’S WORD IS THAT ONCE IMPLANTED AND RECEIVED……IT WILL ACCOMPLISH ITS WORK IN AND THROUGH YOU
Isa 55:10-11 NASB “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; (11) So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
- MY MENTOR USED TO SAY THAT “GOD’S WORD IS LIKE A LION! SET IT LOOSE AND IT WILL DEVOUR THE ENEMY”
GOD’S WORD ALSO “SAVES OUR SOULS”
Jas 1:21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.
- God’s Word saves our souls from eternal damnation
- God’s Word also saves our souls from the corruptions of the world
- AS HIS PURE Word is implanted into us….the impurities flow OUT and are removed
V. AND FINALLY: THE HOLY SPIRIT INTERCEDES FOR ALL THE SAINTS
HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW THE STORY OF ELI AND HIS WICKED SONS
IT IS GENERALLY BELIEVED THAT ELI WAS THE HIGH PRIEST OF ISRAEL DURING THESE EVENTS
ELI HAD TWO WICKED SONS WHO WENT ASTRAY ALL THE TIME…..AND THEY PAID FOR IT WITH THEIR LIVES
NONETHELESS, ELI ASKED A VERY INTERESTING QUESTION
THIS IS WHAT HE ASKED?
1 Sa 2:25 “If one man sins against another, God will mediate for him; but if a man sins against the LORD, who can intercede for him?”
- There are sins we do to people..
- BUT then there are sins we commit against GOD
- No one can rescue you if you sin against God
- No one can help you
- No one can bring remedy except God. Right?
ISAIAH THE PROPHET, IN ONE OF THE MOST VIVID MESSIANIC PROPHECIES, STATED THAT
Isaiah 53:12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, And He will divide the booty with the strong; Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors; Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.
ROMANS 8:31-34 IS THE COMPLIMENTARY SCRITPURE TO ISAIAH 53:12
- God did not spare His own Son…but gave Him up for our redemption
- God himself justifies us NOW, and the enemy cannot bring an accusation…WHY?
- Because CHRIST is the one who condemns or judges
- And HE HAS RULED US to be
- Sons and Heirs
- And NOT GUILTY
- And that same Spirit of Intercession NOW FILLS YOU…..the Holy Spirit
Rom 8:26-29 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; (27) and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. (28) And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (29) For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren
THE WORD (help) “SUNANTILAMBANOMAI” MEANS:
- to lay hold along with, to strive to
- obtain with others, help in obtaining
- to take hold with another
It carries the sense of SOMEONE walking with YOU
Someone taking you by the HAND and helping you along….further in you journey
THE WORD “WEAKNESS” MEANS:
- Our moral fragility
- Our carnal sickness
- Our sin nature
AND THE WORD “INTERCEDE” MEANS:
- Make petition for
- Make an appeal on behalf of
- Making requests
What exactly is the HOLY SPIRIT PETITIONING FOR?
THIS IS THE FULL EXPRESSION OF THIS PASSAGE
The Holy Spirit, who knows our weaknesses, will intercede ON OUR BEHALF against the CARNAL SICKNESSES IN OUR BEING
SO THAT WE MAY BE TRANSFORMED INTO THE IMAGE OF JESUS CHRIST
WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT INTERCEDES:
YOU BETTER BET THAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO LOOK MORE LIKE CHRIST!
THE HOLY SPIRIT SANCTIFIES US THESE FIVE WAYS:
- The Truth of God’s Word
- Divine rebuke and discipline
- Divine Grief
- God’s Word
- Divine Intercession