“The Warfare Of The Believer—His Instruments” (Part 7)November 29, 2020 / Ephesians 6:17
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
I. The Wealth of the Believer (Ephesians 1:1-3:21)
II. The Walk of the Believer (Ephesians 4:1-6:9)
We note that our understanding of the principles of God’s Word will lead to the practice of God’s ways.
III. The Warfare of the Believer (Ephesians 6:10-20)
B. Instruction: how to stand fast in the battle(Ephesians 6:10-12)
C. Instruments: how to face the battle (Ephesians 6:13-17)
1. God’s Precept for our stability in Warfare (Ephesians 6:13)
2. God’s Protection for our security in Warfare (Ephesians 6:14-17a)
3. God’s for our in Warfare (Ephesians 6:17b)
QUESTION: “Have I learned the art of offensive warfare?”
With the Sword of the Spirit, the soldier of Christ displays faith.
James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
a. The of the “Word of God”—It is
i. It is (Psalm 12:6)
Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. [cf. Proverb 30:5]
ii. It is (1 Peter 1:25)
iii. It is (Psalm 19:7, 9)
John 17:17 Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth.
iv. It is (Hebrews 4:12)
Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is quick [alive], and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder [separates between] of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents [intentions] of the heart.
v. It is (Isaiah 55:11)
The Word of God is to effectively bring about a life of .
b. The of the “Word of God”—It is
i. To the Soul (Psalm 19:7a)
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. [cf. 2 Timothy 3:15]
ii. To the Life (Psalm 19:7b)
Psalm 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy word.
iii. To the Heart (Psalm 19:8a)
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience [hopeful endurance] and comfort [encouragement] of the Scriptures might have hope [patient confidence].
iv. To the Mind (Psalm 19:8b-9)
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed [changed into something useful] by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
v. To Obedience (Psalm 19:10-11)
c. The of the “Word of God”—We
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Christ’s example in Matthew 4.
Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
The art of meditation is seeking personal application of the truths of God’s Word.
2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable [beneficial] for doctrine [teaching what is truth], for reproof [shows what is wrong], for correction [how to make the wrong right], for instruction in righteousness [how to stay right]:
POINT OF ACTION: Our warfare is fought with the instruments of God. His provision for our success in our spiritual battles of life is found in His Word. With the substance of God’s Word, we find truth. With the sufficiency of God’s Word, we find it trustworthy. With the success of God’s Word, we triumph.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!