“The Warfare Of The Believer—His Instruments” (Part 6)November 22, 2020 / Ephesians 6:17
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
I. The Wealth of the Believer (Ephesians 1:1-3:21)
II. The Walk of the Believer (Ephesians 4:1-6:9)
We note that our understanding of the principles of God’s Word will lead to the practice of God’s ways.
III. The Warfare of the Believer (Ephesians 6:10-20)
B. Instruction: how to stand fast in the battle(Ephesians 6:10-12)
C. Instruments: how to face the battle (Ephesians 6:13-17)
1. God’s Precept for our stability in Warfare (Ephesians 6:13)
2. God’s Protection for our security in Warfare (Ephesians 6:14-17a)
i. He is rooted in truth(Ephesians 6:14a)
With the belt of truth, the soldier of Christ displays faith.
ii. He is righteous in his testimony(Ephesians 6:14b)
With the breastplate of righteousness, the soldier of Christ displays faith.
iii. He is resolute where he treads—He is confident & courageous in his faith (Ephesians 6:15)
With Gospel shoes, the soldier of Christ displays faith.
iv. He is ready for temptation—He is counteractive in the face of temptation (Ephesians 6:16)
With the shield of faith, the soldier of Christ displays faith.
v. He is resolved in his thoughts—He is confident in the hope of salvation (Ephesians 6:17a)
QUESTION: “Am I able to defend myself against Satan’s attack?”
“Am I able to defend myself against Satan’s attacking doubts?”
With the helmet of salvation, the soldier of Christ displays confident faith.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
2 Timothy 1:12b … for I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.
QUESTION: What does this kind of confidence do for a believer?
a) The Believer has a Living Hope (1 Peter 1:3)
1) The Source of this Hope
Hope always has the future in mind.
2) The Security of this Hope
Psalm 108:4 For Thy mercy is great above the heavens: and Thy truth reacheth unto the clouds.
3) The Substance of this Hope
1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
1 Corinthians 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
b) The Believer has a Reserved Inheritance (1 Peter 1:4)
1) An Inheritance Incorruptible
2) An Inheritance Undefiled
3) An Inheritance Unfading
c) The Believer has a Secure Salvation (1 Peter 1:5)
How secure is our salvation?
Consider Romans 8:31-39.
1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is He that calleth you, Who also will do it.
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage [strength], and He shall strengthen [encourage] your heart, all ye that hope [have patient confidence] in the LORD.
POINT OF ACTION: Our warfare is fought with the instruments of God. Our protection for the spiritual battles of life continues with being resolved in his thoughts. He is confident with the hope of salvation because his salvation is securely kept by the power of God.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!