“Our Worthy Walk with Loving Ministry Mindedness”July 5, 2020 / Ephesians 5:1,2 Ephesians 4:11-12
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
I. The Wealth of the Believer (Ephesians 1:1-3:21)
A deeper study of these passages can be found on our YouTube channel. The link to our “Ephesians” playlist will be in the comments.
II. The Walk of the Believer (Ephesians 4:1-6:9)
Our main emphasis has been, that a humble understanding of the principles of God’s Word will lead to the practice of God’s ways.
A. Walk Worthy— before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
1. Walk Worthy (4:1)
2. Walk in —Your Posture in Christ (4:2-6)
3. Walk in —Your Purpose in Christ (4:11-12)
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
B. Walk Worthy— toward (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
Isaiah 6 gives us a great example of this. Isaiah’s upward look: (Isaiah 6:1-4) / Isaiah’s inward look: (Isaiah 6:5) / Isaiah’s outward look: (Isaiah 6:8)
Our Worthy Walk FORWARD with LOVING Ministry Mindedness (Ephesians 4:11-12; 5:1-2)
1. Walk in Fulfilling Christ’s for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
a. God’s —Gifted Ministers (Ephesians 4:11)
The “pastor-teacher” is an instructing shepherd who is to “feed the flock of God” (1 Peter 5:2) he has been entrusted with. He is called upon to heed, lead, and feed the flock that has been entrusted to their care (Acts 20:28).
b. God’s —Gospel Ministry (Ephesians 4:12)
i. the Saints of Christ
a) The of “Perfecting” is by the ministry of the Word
2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
b) The of “Perfecting” is for ministry work
Consider Christ’s last commands before His ascension: He said, “…and ye shall be witnesses unto Me…” (Acts 1:8)—to be My witnesses.
He said, “…teach all nations…” (Matthew 28:19)—make disciples
ii. the Body of Christ
Romans 12:9-10 Let love be without dissimulation [hypocrisy]. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another [preferring honor for one another];
2. Walk in Love Christ’s for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
a. Love like the (Ephesians 5:1)
Cf. Ephesians 4:24; 1 John 4:7-10, 20
b. Love like the (Ephesians 5:2)
To be a “follower of God” is to “walk in love.” How? “as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.”
i. His love was a for us
Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many. (cf. John 15:13)
ii. His love was a for us
Christ also gave Himself as our substitute. This is the highest expression of Christ’s love in that He loved us to the point of death. Sacrificial love is the highest form of love.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the Just [One] for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
iii. His love was a for the Father
Christ also sets the pattern of worship for us to follow in sacrifice (cf. Romans 12:1-2).
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk forward is marked by loving ministry mindedness. We are to “do the work of the ministry” in our horizontal relationships, by faithfully following the pattern that Christ set for us. We are to be motivated by a loving gratitude for His loving sacrifice on our behalf. Our love for others is to be an act of worship—a sweet-smelling savor that is pleasing to our Heavenly Father.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!