“Our Worthy Walk with Jerusalem Ministry Mindedness”
July 12, 2020 / Ephesians 5:7, 8, 9, 10
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
I. The Wealth of the Believer (Ephesians 1:1-3:21)
A deeper study of these passages can be found on our YouTube channel in the “Ephesians” playlist.
II. The Walk of the Believer (Ephesians 4:1-6:9)
A. Walk Worthy—Vertically before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
To “walk worthy” of your calling is to live in such a way that what we were saved for and the way we live are in balance—both having equal weight. Paul begs us to live in balance with what we were saved for.
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
B. Walk Worthy— toward (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
The message of Paul’s letter to the saints in Ephesus can be simplified as look up, look in, and look out.
1. Walk in Fulfilling Christ’s for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
2. Walk in displaying Christ’s for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
3. Walk in reflecting Christ’s in You (Ephesians 5:3-14)
Paul turns to our influence. Following his call for us to love like our heavenly Father by imitating the sacrificial love of our Savior, we are now called upon to walk in light in the way that we love.
a. The of the World (Ephesians 5:3-6)
b. The of Christ (Ephesians 5:7-14)
He reminded us of who we (Ephesians 5:3-6) and will now remind us of who we (Ephesians 5:7-14).
1 John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
1 John 3:10-11 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. 11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
i. The Walk (Ephesians 5:7)
ii. The Walk (Ephesians 5:8-9)
a) The Believer’s (Ephesians 5:8 a)
Colossians 1:13 Who [the Father – Cf. Colossians 1:12] hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son:
1. They were spiritually
Ephesians 4:17-18 a This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk [live] not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity [depravity] of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened [spiritually ignorant of God’s truth], …
2. They were spiritually
Ephesians 4:17-18 b …being alienated [separated] from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness [hardness] of their heart:
Jesus is “LIFE” (see also John 14:6; John 11:25-26)
John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, “I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
b) The Believer’s (Ephesians 5:8 b)
1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.
Position of Influence—“Ye are the salt of the earth” & “Ye are the light of the world” (Matthew 5:13-14).
c) The Believer’s (Ephesians 5:8 c)
With great privilege comes great responsibility
Privilege of influence—be “salt” & “light”
1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises [excellencies / virtues] of Him Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light:
d) The Believer’s (Ephesians 5:9)
iii. The Walk (Ephesians 5:10)
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk is marked by Jerusalem ministry mindedness. We are to live a life of influence, reflecting the light of Christ, toward our horizontal relationships. Be reminded of your past to the degree that you understand your new position and privilege as a light-bearer of Christ. As we “walk as children of light” we are to bear the fruit that give proof of authentic Christianity in praise to our God.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!