“Our Worthy Walk Forward with submissive Ministry Mindedness” (Part 5)September 6, 2020 / Ephesians 5:21 1 Peter 2:13-17, Romans 13:1-2
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
A. Walk Worthy—Vertically before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
B. Walk Worthy—Horizontally toward Others (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
The message of Paul’s letter to the saints in Ephesus can be simplified as look up, look in, and look out. The first 3 chapters directs us to look upward and see God for Who He is and what He has done. Here in chapter 5 we are directed to look outward and see others as God sees them.
Here in chapter 5 we are directed to look outward and see others as God sees them.
Context: Paul is speaking about our influence in our worthy walk, horizontally toward others.
1. Walk in Ministry, Fulfilling Christ’s Purpose for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
2. Walk in Love, Displaying Christ’s Love for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
3. Walk in Light, REFLECTING Christ’s Light in You (Ephesians 5:3-14)
4. Walk in Step with the Spirit, SUBMITTING to Christ’s Spirit in You (Ephesians 5:18-21)
The law of love is to determine our attitude (Galatians 5:13).
5. Walk in , serving others around You (Ephesians 5:21)
“Submitting yourselves one to another …” (Ephesians 5:21) – Biblical submission carries the idea of willingly placing yourself under. We are to place the greatest needs of others before our own.
“…in the fear of God.” (Ephesians 5:21) – It is a humility in submission toward God which results in gentleness toward others.
a. The Heart Posture is
Consider our influence of submissive ministry mindedness as it relates to governing authorities.
QUESTION: Do I see my ministry of influence in the way that I speak about our governing authorities?
QUESTION: Do I understand my ministry of influence in the way that I obey or protest laws set forth by those authorities?
b. The Humble Process is
We have the privilege of redemptive influence as God’s image-bearers.
c. The Heavenly Purpose is Influence
i. A Ministry Mindset focuses on the Gospel’s
Advancing Christ’s kingdom must be my mission.
QUESTION: Does a demand for my own right’s advance Christ’s kingdom?
Jesus’ (cf. John 6:38, 40) and Paul’s (Acts 20:24; Philippians 1:12) examples give us the redemptive goal of this submissive ministry mindedness. It is the advancement of the Gospel.
ii. A Ministry Mindset focuses on Gospel (1 Peter 2:13-17)
Paul & Peter: They both command us to submit. The setting of these commands was that the “king” at that time was Nero, the most ruthless Roman Caesar.
QUESTION: So how can we honor Christ in our submission to governing authorities?
Notice three key considerations that Peter gives us. Keep in mind…
a) The of God (1 Peter 2:13-14)
Our submission to government authority is primarily a matter of God’s glory.
Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject [hupotassō] to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
QUESTION: Am I honoring the testimony of my Savior in the way that I obey or disobey—or in the way that I speak about those in authority over us?
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
b) The of God (1 Peter 2:15-16)
We are to “submit to every ordinance of man” in submission to God.
c) The of God (1 Peter 2:17)
Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Important distinction: A justifiable excuse to “resist authority” is because their laws command us to disobey God (Acts 5:29 “Obey God rather than men”)
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk is marked by submissive ministry mindedness. We are called to have a Redemptive Ministry Mindset that focuses on the Gospel’s Advance while having a Submissive Ministry Mindset which focuses on Gospel Influence. We must seek to do all to the glory of God, as we seek to be obedient to the will of God, while living in the fear of God.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!