“Our Worthy Walk Forward with submissive Ministry Mindedness” (Part 4)
August 30, 2020 / Ephesians 5:21
1 Timothy 2:1-2, 1 Peter 2:17, Romans 13:6-7, Matthew 5:13-16
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
A. Walk Worthy—Vertically before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
B. Walk Worthy—Horizontally toward Others (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
The message of Paul’s letter to the saints in Ephesus can be simplified as look up, look in, and look out. The first 3 chapters directs us to look upward and see God for Who He is and what He has done. Here in chapter 5 we are directed to look outward and see others as God sees them.
Here in chapter 5 we are directed to look outward and see others as God sees them.
Context: Paul is speaking about our influence in our worthy walk, horizontally toward others.
1. Walk in Ministry, Fulfilling Christ’s Purpose for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
2. Walk in Love, Displaying Christ’s Love for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
3. Walk in Light, REFLECTING Christ’s Light in You (Ephesians 5:3-14)
4. Walk in Step with the Spirit, SUBMITTING to Christ’s Spirit in You (Ephesians 5:18-21)
The law of love is to determine our attitude (Galatians 5:13).
5. Walk in , serving others around You (Ephesians 5:21)
“Submitting yourselves one to another …” (Ephesians 5:21) – Biblical submission carries the idea of willingly placing yourself under. We are to place the greatest needs of others before our own.
“…in the fear of God.” (Ephesians 5:21) – It is a humility in submission toward God which results in gentleness toward others.
a. The Heart Posture is
Consider our influence of submissive ministry mindedness as it relates to governing authorities.
QUESTION: Do I see my ministry of influence in the way that I speak about our governing authorities?
QUESTION: Do I understand my ministry of influence in the way that I obey or protest laws set forth by those authorities?
b. The Humble Process is
First and foremost: this humble process is a God-ward obedience. Our God-ward obedience leads to man-ward redemptive influence.
Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
i. Understand God’s Rule
Proverbs 21:1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever He will [wishes].
Romans 13:1 b … For there is no power but of [except from] God: the powers that be are ordained of [arranged by] God.
ii. Understand Your Responsibility
QUESTION: What are my God-given responsibilities toward governing authorities?
a) for those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
QUESTION: How much do you pray for the president, your state governor, congressmen and women, senators, and other state and local officials?
b) those in authority (1 Peter 2:17)
1 Peter 2:17 Honour [having an inner respect for] all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
c) to those in authority (Romans 13:6-7)
Matthew 22:21 They say unto Him [Jesus], “Caesar’s.” Then saith He unto them, “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.”
d) those in authority (Matthew 5:13-16)
We have the privilege of influence as God’s image-bearers.
Matthew 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour [flavor], wherewith shall it be salted [become salty again]? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk is marked by submissive ministry mindedness. The humble process is obedience to God. God sovereignly rules and reigns in righteousness. We are to faithfully pray for those in authority over us; honor and render to them; yet also seeking to have redemptive influence upon them, that God would be glorified.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!