“Our Worthy Walk Forward with redemptive Ministry Mindedness at Work”September 27, 2020 / Ephesians 6:5-9
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
A. Walk Worthy—Vertically before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
B. Walk Worthy—Horizontally toward Others (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
Keep in mind the context that this section falls within. Paul is speaking about our redemptive influence in our worthy walk, horizontally toward others.
1. Walk in Ministry, Fulfilling Christ’s Purpose for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
2. Walk in Love, Displaying Christ’s Love for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
3. Walk in Light, REFLECTING Christ’s Light in You (Ephesians 5:3-14)
4. Walk in the Spirit, being in step with Christ’s Spirit in You (Ephesians 5:18-21)
5. Walk in , in the Way Christ has for You (Ephesians 5:22-33)
a. The Marriage Relationship (Ephesians 5:22-33)
i. Godly Wives Practice willing and loving Submission (Ephesians 5:22-24)
ii. Godly Husbands practice Sacrificial and Selfless Love (Ephesians 5:25-32)
b. The Family Relationships (Ephesians 6:1-4)
i. Godly CHILDREN Practice Loving and Submissive OBEDIENCE (Ephesians 6:1-3)
ii. Godly FATHERS practice Loving AUTHORITY (4)
c. The Relationships (6:5-9)
The Gospel is the great reconciler. As enemies are reconciled to Christ they can be united with each other in a relationship of harmony and peace (Ephesians 2:11-15).
QUESTION: Is there a difference between secular work and sacred work?
i. Godly Employees Practice and OBEDIENCE (Ephesians 6:5-8)
Titus 2:9-10 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; 10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
a) The of OBEDIENCE Commanded—“be obedient” (Ephesians 6:5a)
Colossians 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:”
b) The of OBEDIENCE Determined (Ephesians 6:5b-7)
1. The Right —“with fear and trembling” (Ephesians 6:5b)
2. The Right —“in singleness of heart, as unto Christ” (Eph. 6:5c)
3. The Right —“not with eyeservice” (Ephesians 6:6a)
Proverbs 5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and He pondereth [carefully] all his goings.
Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should NOT be the servant of Christ.
4. The Right —“doing the will of God from the heart” (Ephesians 6:6b-7)
Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily [from the soul], as to the Lord, and not unto men;
c) The that OBEDIENCE Motivates (8)
Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
ii. Godly Employers Practice AUTHORITY (Ephesians 6:9)
Colossians 4:1 Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven.
a) Your —“forbearing threatening”
b) Your —“knowing that your Master also is in heaven”
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk is explained by walking in harmony in the way of Christ. Godly employee practice intentional loving obedience, with the Right Upward Awe, seeking the Right Upward and Outward Attention, all with the Right Inward Attitude.
Godly employers practice intentional loving authority. They determine to use the right kind of motivation as they serve their Master in heaven.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!