Our Walk In God’s Delight
May 17, 2020 / Psalm 37:
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
My desire is to help us apply Biblical principles to our current situation so as to be able to step forward in faith by walking in God’s delight.
1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and He delighteth in his way.
Ecclesiastes 12:11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one Shepherd.
Goads: “the disturbing of men which draw a ”
Nails: “the of God that gives the ”
2. Walking in God’s Delight is Marked by “Putting Off”
Ephesians 4:22 That ye concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Proverbs 14:17 He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.
3. The Walk of Faith is Marked by “”
Ephesians 4:23 And be in the spirit of your mind;
4. The Walk of Faith is Marked by “”
Ephesians 4:24 And that ye the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Q: How can this be our continual description? How can we be defined as the righteous are defined here?
Mark #1: Be in the LORD – “Trust in the LORD” (Psalm 37:3a)
“Trust in the LORD, and do good;…” – This “trust” is being confident. It carries the idea of a deep abiding reliance upon something.
Mark #2: Be in the LORD – “Delight in the LORD” (Psalm 37:4)
“Delight thyself also in the LORD;…” – To “delight” is to be delighted with His will.
Mark #3: Be to the LORD – “Commit thy ways unto the LORD” (Psalm 37:5)
The idea of this word, “commit” is to roll a weight onto something that you believe can handle it. It is the idea of surrendering.
Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
Mark #4: Be before the LORD – “Rest in the LORD” (Psalm 37:7)
This word, “rest” literally speaks of a quietness. It speaks of being silent. Often in waiting we are anxious and impatient. Here we are commanded to be at rest.
Mark #5: Be to the LORD – “Wait on the LORD” (Psalm 37:34)
This Hebrew word translated, “wait” carries the idea of patient confidence. It is a confident expectation.
As we learn to “wait on the LORD” we learn submission to God. is the state of being obedient: the act of accepting the authority or control of someone else.
Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
Point of Action: Our walk in God’s delight is a walk of putting off sin, renewing the spirit of our mind with truth, and putting on Christlikeness. It is marked by being stabilized, satisfied, surrendered, still, and submissive. It is rooted in a Biblical understanding of Who God is and what He does.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Eph. 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others —ALL to the GLORY of GOD!