LEGACY: A Spiritual Leader’s Lasting Impression
June 21, 2020 / Proverbs 20:7
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
Our legacy is like fingerprints. The way that we touch the lives of others leaves an impression—it leaves your very special mark. What kind of fingerprints are you leaving behind?
Proverbs 20:7 The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
I. A Just Man and the —He is
Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered [arranged] by the LORD: and He delighteth in his way.
Psalm 37:26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.
Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
Joshua 1:7-8 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses My servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
A. Be because of God’s Word—“be thou strong”
B. Be because of God’s Word—“be thou very courageous”
C. Be to the Word—“observe to do according to all the Law”
D. Be by the Word—“turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest”
E. Be about the Word—“this book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth”
F. Be in the Word—“thou shalt meditate therein day and night”
II. A Just Man and His —He is
A. He concerns himself with he
Proverbs 10:9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely [securely]: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.
B. He concerns himself with he
Proverbs 13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.
Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
III. The Just Man and His —He
Deuteronomy 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
Ecclesiastes 10:10 If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
IV. The Just Man and His —He
Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man [warrior]; so are children of the youth.
Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6 In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. 7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
POINT OF ACTION: A “just man walks in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.” A Godly legacy is shaped by a humility being a teachable Timothy. It is a heart that is anchored in the truths of God’s Word and a life that is active in leading as they follow Christ.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!