Joshua 7, 8:
“God’s Principles for Success in the Unknown Ahead—Dealing with Sin”February 7, 2021 / Joshua 7, 8: James 1:14-16; Proverbs 28:13
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
We are considering the new year seeking to enjoy God’s success in the unknown ahead by applying the principles found in the book of Joshua.
2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge [cleanse] himself from these [“vessels for dishonor” i.e. corrupting influences (v. 20)], he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified [set apart], and meet [useful] for the Master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
Our purpose is to be “vessels” that are “fit for the Master’s use.” (Our 2021 theme video message: https://youtu.be/I9USPoROuWk)
QUESTION: How will we be successful? How will we be able to faithfully follow after Him and be a useful vessel that is fit for His use?
In order to accomplish this purpose, we are to seek to be diligent in our purity, keeping from corrupting influences, and also intentionally pursue Christlike qualities with others who practice Christlike influence.
Lesson #6: Jericho’s of Thought: we are to diligently cast down our fortresses of thought by subduing them; captivate your thought processes by surrendering them; and capitulate to Christ by submitting to Him.
with Sin in the Camp (Joshua 7-8)
QUESTION: How does sin bring defeat into our Christian lives? What kind of sin brings defeat? Who is effected by our sin?
Galatians 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Our toward sin is a key to defeat or victory in the Christian life.
I. for Defeat is Our of Sin (Joshua 7:13)
What kind of brings defeat or failure into our Christian lives? We must never forget that sin grieves our Savior.
A. There was —A was made (Joshua 7:1)
Notice that this statement is attributed to the whole nation of Israel.
James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
B. There was a —A was taken (Joshua 7:21)
James 1:14-16 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
1. First Mistake was to a second time
2. Second Mistake was to after it—Achan’s
3. Third Mistake was to it—Achan’s
4. Fourth Mistake was to with it—Achan’s
C. There was —A is destined
Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
II. Cure for Defeat is Our Repentance from Sin (Joshua 7:13)
1. Ask God for help (Psalm 139:23-24)
Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
2. Acknowledge my sin (Joshua 7:19-20)
Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions [rebellion] unto the LORD; and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
3. Abandon my sin (Proverbs 28:13b)
Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth [acknowledge my sin] and forsaketh [turn from my sin] them shall have mercy.
POINT OF ACTION: God’s promise for success in the unknown ahead is also realized through dealing with sin. The cause for defeat is our concealment of sin. There was a departure from the path of obedience that led to death. The cure for defeat is our repentance from sin. The one who confesses and forsake his sin enjoys God’s victorious mercy.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!