“God’s Principles For Success In The Unknown Ahead—CHOOSE To Serve the LORD”March 7, 2021 / Joshua 23-24:
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
We are considering the new year seeking to enjoy God’s success in the unknown ahead by applying the principles found in the book of Joshua.
2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge [cleanse] himself from these [“vessels for dishonor” i.e. corrupting influences (v. 20)], he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified [set apart], and meet [useful] for the Master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
Our purpose is to be “vessels” that are “fit for the Master’s use.” (Our 2021 theme video message: https://youtu.be/I9USPoROuWk)
QUESTION: How will we be successful? How will we be able to faithfully follow after Him and be a useful vessel that is fit for His use?
In order to accomplish this purpose, we are to seek to be diligent in our purity, keeping from corrupting influences, and also intentionally pursue Christlike qualities with others who practice Christlike influence.
Lesson #10: Realize the Promises: we are to diligently seek be a Conquering Caleb in a world of complacent Christianity by being a diamond in the rough glowing with dynamic faith in Christ.
to Serve the LORD (Joshua 23-24)
KEY THOUGHT: Complacency in the Christian life is the sure way of being deceived and defeated.
Lesson #11 (Joshua 23-24): Choose: we are to intentionally choose to seek to serve the LORD daily—Choosing to have Dynamic Faith (Lesson #2) as we intentionally put our faith into action while also choosing to take Steps of Faith (Lesson #3)—prayerfully stepping out in faith trusting the Lord to guide our steps.
I. Joshua’s Charge to the (Joshua 23)
A. Remember —#4 & #6 (Joshua 23:3-5)
Lesson #4 (Joshua 4): Memorial Stones: we are to intentionally remind ourselves of God’s goodness and faithfulness.
Lesson #6 (Joshua 6): Jericho’s of Thought: we are to diligently cast down our fortresses of thought by subduing them; captivate your thought processes by surrendering them; and capitulate to Christ by submitting to Him.
1. Remember what God has (Joshua 23:3-4)
2. Remember what God will (Joshua 23:5)
B. Obey —#1 & #8 (Joshua 23:6-7)
Lesson #1 (Joshua 1): Obedience to the Word: we are to diligently and faithfully obey God’s Word
Lesson #8 (Joshua 9-10): Dealing with Mistakes: we are to diligently seek to live a life a rejoicing in victory as we faithfully put our faith into action instead of being haunted by the mistakes of our past because of inactive faith.
C. Follow —#9 & #10 (Joshua 23:8-10)
Lesson #9 (Joshua 14): Follow Faithfully: we are to diligently seek to follow the Lord faithfully as we rest in His presence, remember His promises, and rely upon His power.
D. Repent —#7 (Joshua 23:11-16)
II. Joshua’s Charge to the (Joshua 24)
A. Remember —#4 & #6 (Joshua 24:2-13)
1. Remember your of life (Joshua 24:2)
2. Remember how God you (Joshua 24:3-7)
3. Remember how God you (Joshua 24:8-12)
4. Remember how God you (Joshua 24:13)
B. Choose —#5 & #11 (Joshua 24:14-27)
1. Choose to to Him (Joshua 24:14a)
2. Choose to from Sin (Joshua 24:14b)
3. Choose to Him (Joshua 24:15-27)
Lesson #5 (Joshua 5): Renewed Priorities: we are to daily renew our faith through humble obedience and dependence on the Lord.
POINT OF ACTION: God’s promise for success in the unknown ahead is enjoyed when we choose to serve the LORD. Remember deliberately how faithful God has been and choose whole-heartedly to serve Him this day. May our response be, “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD!”
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!