“God’s Precepts for Success in the Unknown Ahead”December 27, 2020 / Joshua 1:5-9
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the Master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
How will we be successful? How will we be able to faithfully follow after Him and be a useful vessel that is fit for His use?
Here in Joshua chapter 1, we see a Biblical principle which contains some precepts and some promises.
A precept is a command that is our responsibility to .
A promise is God’s responsibility to fulfill based upon our obedience of the precept. A promise within a Biblical principle can only be enjoyed by the person who obeys the precept.
I. My Promises (Joshua 1:1-5)
Joshua 1:5 “…as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”
Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation [the message of your life or your way of life] be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
QUESTION: What is God’s model for success in this new year?
Psalm 119:105 “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
II. to My Precepts: (Joshua 1:6-8)
A. Consider the 1st Command: Be because of the Word—“be thou strong and very courageous” (v. 6-7)
Joshua’s strength and courage was to be in God. This would enable him to do the commands that followed in these verses.
B. Consider the 2nd Command: Be to the Word—“observe to do according to all the Law” (v. 7)
Deuteronomy 29:9 Keep therefore the words of this Covenant, and do them, that ye may [to act with prudence] in all that ye do.
C. Consider the 3rd Command: Be by the Word—“turn not from it” (v. 7)
D. Consider the 4th Command: Be about the Word—“this book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth” (v. 8)
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by , that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
This is possible when we obey this next point.
E. Consider the 5th Command: Be in the Word—“thou shalt meditate therein day and night” (v. 8)
III. Remember My (Joshua 1:8-9)
A. Consider the 2nd Promise: Know as promised in the Word—“then thou shalt have good success” (v. 8)
The word “prosperous” describes the work of the Holy Spirit in one’s life.
B. Consider the 3rd Promise: Know from the Word—“for the LORD thy God is with thee” (v. 9)
Notice that the Lord ends with the promise He began with—“I will be with you!”
Look at Who is commanding you! As God speaks to you He says, Who AM I? What have I done? AM I worthy to be obeyed? Do My words ring hollow because My past has been contrary to what I AM commanding you now?
QUESTION: Who is your God? Who is the God that you worship? What has He done for you?
POINT OF ACTION: God’s promise for success in the unknown ahead are enjoyed when we obey the precepts He commands. We must be diligent to remember His promises and respond to His precepts. We must be confident because of His Word, obedient to His Word, directed by the Word, vocal with God’s Words, and daily in His Word.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!