Behold the LAMB
August 2, 2020 / John 1:29
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged [cleansed] with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission [forgiveness / freedom].
A lamb is a central theme to the entire narrative of God’s Word. It is rich with meaning and foreshadowing.
I. “ is the Lamb?” (Genesis 22:7)
Genesis 22:7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, “My father:” and he said, “Here am I, my son.” And he said, “Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?”
Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide Himself a lamb for a burnt offering:” so they went both of them together.
Hebrews 10:4 For it is possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
The search for the spotless lamb concluded in the Gospels with the “Word being made flesh and dwelling among us” (John 1:14).
II. “ the LAMB!” (John 1:29)
John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth: He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth.
Luke 22:19-20 And He took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, “This is My body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of Me.” 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you.”
Hebrews 10:12 But this Man [Jesus Christ], after He had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering He [Jesus Christ (v. 10)] hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified [made holy].
Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore He [Jesus (cf. v. 22] is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them.
III. “ is the LAMB!” (Revelation 5:12)
Revelation 5:11-12 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; 12 Saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.”
QUESTION: “Do you live your life as if He is worthy?” “Does your life show that you truly believe that He is worthy?”
Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created.
POINT OF ACTION: “Where is the lamb?” leads us to “Behold the Lamb of God” and cry out in joyful praise, “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing!” because He has come to “take away the sin of the world.” May this be a practical reality in our lives each day.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!