A Mother’s Faith
May 10, 2020 / 2:
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
Q: What will your legacy be?
Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed [as they respect and honor her]; her husband also, and he praiseth [celebrates] her.
I. Circumstances (Exodus 1:8-22)
This time was one in which we see the faithful sovereignty and providence of God on display.
A. The of God’s People (8-14)
B. The of God’s People (15-22)
Q: Mom, what are the uncertain circumstances that you find yourself in today?
Uncertain times provide opportunities for uncommon Christians. In these times God gives us an opportunity to show the reality of our faith.
Keep in mind that in the schoolhouse of suffering God is seeking to draw us closer to Him even though we may feel He is looking to destroy us.
1 Peter 1:6-7 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold [various] temptations: 7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
James 1:3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
A. Seen in Her (Exodus 2:2)
Moses, being a “goodly child” seems to carry the idea of being beautiful in the sight of God.
Hebrews 11:23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment.
B. Seen in Her (Exodus 2:3)
In this story, we see a mother who was defiant to Pharaoh but also a mother who was devoted to God. She was committed to honoring God in raising her children thus she displayed a fear of God instead of a fear of Pharaoh.
These parents saw their son through God’s eyes and in turn, we see how they gave him back to God in faith.
A. Jehovah’s (Exodus 2:3-8)
God rewarded her faith as He saved Moses from the destiny that man other Hebrew boys suffered at that time.
B. Jochebed’s (Exodus 2:9-10)
Jochebed’s sacrifice was in giving up her son to save his life. She fully committed him to the Lord and by faith trust that her God was the God of the impossible.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
“Praying mothers are America’s greatest assets.”—Theodore Roosevelt
God has a plan…HE always has a plan.
1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is He that calleth you, Who also will do it.
Q: What will your legacy be?
POINT OF ACTION: A mother’s faith is far-reaching in its impact. It takes courage, commitment, and sacrifice. It is weathered in the schoolhouse of suffering, yet God intends to display it far beyond her years. Mom, please don’t ever underestimate the influence that God has given you. Step forward in faith as you journey along the path of motherhood with your eyes fixed on the Lord and your head bowed in prayer. Trust Him with the heart of your child for “He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20).
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does NOT reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)