The TransfigurationOctober 4, 2020
Text: Matthew 17:1-9 (Luke 9:28-36) (Mark 9:2-8)
1. Encouraged by (Matt. 17:2-8)
John 1:14: “We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father”
- Moses spoke to God and his face became radiant. This not like that. Moses didn’t glow, he was in the presence of God’s light. Jesus is the source of the light. (see Matt. 17:2)
- Jesus prayed that we see his glory. (John 17:24)
- Moses and Elijah are visible confirmation that Jesus is the promised Messiah of Scripture.
- Appearance of Moses and Elijah is confirmation of the Resurrection from the dead.
- They were talking about his = “exodus.” (Luke 9:31)
- The cloud appears throughout Scripture. In Bible, cloud often serve as a symbol of divine glory.
–Crossing the Red sea, the cloud stood between the Hebrews and Egypt.
–In the wilderness journey, the cloud lead them in the day.
–At Mount Sinai the cloud came down on the mountain.
–At the dedication of both the temple and tabernacle, a cloud came down and filled the structure.
I think cloud is like a coat or a robe that covers the glory of God. As his inner glory shines, cloud protects human eyes from gazing on the shekinah of God. It stands like the Curtain in the Holy of Holies, protecting mankind from direct observation of the Divine Glory.
- God clarified Jesus’ unique position as “Son” of God. (Ps. 2:7)
2. Encouraged by (Matt. 17:5)
A voice from heaven spoke 3 times during the ministry of Jesus.
- At his Baptism.
- At the transfiguration.
- When Jesus asked that the father glorify his name. (John 12:28-29)
Deuteronomy 18 promised a “prophet” who would come, unlike other prophets. He would be like Moses, giving the Law to the people. And there would be severe punishment for those who do not listen to him. (Deuteronomy 18:17) The command to “listen” to Jesus is a confirmation from heaven that Jesus is the one prophesied in the Torah.
3. Encouraged by (Matt. 16:28 / 2 Peter 1:16-18)
Like the Second Coming:
- He appeared in glory. (Luke 21:27)
- The coming of the cloud. (Luke 21:27)
- The dead appear with him. (1 Thessalonians 4:14)
- The voice followed by falling on their faces. (Philippians 2:9-11)
A Word of Hope
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2