My CornerstoneOctober 25, 2020
1 Peter 2:1-10
This passage is about who and whose you are. It’s about your spiritual identity.
1 Peter 2:6, Peter is citing: Isaiah 28:16
1 Peter 2:7, citing Psalm 118:22. Jesus is a stumbling stone, a rock of offense.
1 Peter 2:9, citing Exodus 19.
1. I am . = Called out of darkness.
1 Peter 2:9, called out of darkness into his marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:7-8, How can the world hate a perfect man?
1 Peter 2:8, The world rejects his teaching, his person, his Word, his salvation, his value.
I am who Christ says I am.
I am not who = the world says I am.
= my enemies say I am.
= my culture says I am.
= my friends say I am.
= my job and titles say I am.
= my abusers say I am.
2. I am a
1 Peter 2:9
Jesus restored his people to Yahweh’s original plan to be a priesthood.
What does it mean to be a priest? It means we have access to the holy place.
- Priest offer incense.
- Priest reads and interprets Scriptures.
- Priest offer sacrifices to God.
- Priest enters the Holy place.
3. I am a
- 1 Peter 2:10
- 1 Peter 2:5, we are stones God gave life to and is building us together into a spiritual house.
- The danger for the church is individualism. That we do not identify with the people of God.
- 1 Peter 2:5, stones is plural. We exist in unity.
- A danger for the church is distraction. 1 Peter 2:4.
1 Peter 2:10 is beautiful.