Spiritual Leadership: Moses
September 29, 2020
Spiritual Leadership: Moses
- Moses, like most men, was not a natural Spiritual Leader
- Men are natural leaders, but when it comes to Spiritual Leadership, women tend to be more spiritually aware
- God charges men with the duty because we would otherwise not do it
- God gives us the blueprint on how
“Now this is the commandment—the statutes and the rules[a]—
- Hebrew emphatic: This the THE commandment.
- God reduces the law to one ruling principle to follow
that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you, that you may do them in the land to which you are going over, to possess it, 2 that you may fear the Lord your God, you and your son and your son’s son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be long.
- What the principle: Fear God
3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and be careful to do them, that it may go well with you, and that you may multiply greatly, as the Lord, the God of your fathers, has promised you, in a land flowing with milk and honey.
- Milk and Honey
- Reference to the goats and Date trees in Negev desert
*How do we fear God?
4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
- This was THE point of Moses day…Monotheism
- This is primarily what separated Jews from everyone else
- The Law was unique and disciplined, but their monotheism was the unique identifier.
- This the Jewish “Confession of Faith” known as the Shema
- Jews would often emphasize the “one” in the Shema to mock Christians
- Christians theologically understand God is one, but we practically or functionally treat God as separate in the Trinity
- We believe in the hypostatic union of ONE God
- Hebrew: Echad – Compound or union of one
- Uses of Echad
- Genesis 1:5 – “One Day”
- Genesis 1:28 – “Two shall become One flesh”
- Exodus 26:6 – “Gold clasps to make One tent”
- Ezekiel 37:17 – “Join two sticks into One”
- Hebrew: Yachad- Absolute singularity or absolute
5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.
- We often think that God wants all these things: time, money, energy, will, etc., but what He really wants is our Love
- When you Fear God, you Love Him, and the more you Love Him, the more you Fear Him
- Christ calls it the Greatest Commandment in Matthew 22:37-38, but that was not a new revelation, but from Moses
Parental Disciplines to Lead Children
Be in your teaching
7 You shall teach them diligently to your children,
- Family Bible study does more for the discipleship of your children then AWANA or Sunday School ever could
- You MUST establish yourself as the committed Spiritual Leader of your family
- Keeps yourself honest and accountable to the teachings
- Kids will remind you and faithfully enact what you teach
- Widens your wife’s ability to submit, forgive, and show grace
- Zaporah had a hard time submitting because Moses was not submitting
- Hard to lead family in what is spiritual right when you are picking and choosing for yourself what you submit to
- Children not only listen, but return to you for leadership later in life
- Establishes priority and importance in your life and your children’s life
- Remember Jacob: After God conquered him, he prioritized, and subsequently changed his entire environment to center on God
- You set aside deliberate time for:
*If you commit more time to school, sports, chores, extracurricular, etc., then your children will grow up to prioritize school, sports, chores, and extracurricular over Jesus
*Many modern Christians make Jesus A priority among many, not THE priority because their parents only made it a A and not THE priority in the household.
- Tips for Deliberate Teaching:
- Set a solid time and routine
- Choose a topic to emphasize
- Make it Fun
- Make it Practical
into every Aspect of Life
and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
- Every element of your family’s routine should include this emphasis
- Think about the routine of you children, and where is God not emphasized within it?
- Take your children with you in your ministries.
- Even if they don’t help, they SEE YOU serving God.
- Worshiping and Serving God should be so normal in your household that it is weird for them to not see it
Your Family’s Attention
8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- There is a war for YOURs and your Family’s attention
- Social Media
- News media
- Marine Corps
- Commit to giving your family and God YOUR attention
- Commit to focusing your family attention on God and family
- Tips to direct attention
- Strict regime for the distractions
- Symbols and sayings
- Routine of quality