Biblical Feasts: Day of AtonementSeptember 7, 2021
1. Have you ever spent time fasting? What was it like?This day of fasting is wholly fulfilled by Christ on the Cross. Yet the discipline of fasting can still have value on our walk with God.
2. What are some benefits of fasting?–Causes us to take sin serious.–Helps us focus on prayer.–Reminds us of our need for God.
3. Take time look at what Jesus said about fasting:Matt 6:16-18: “When you fast , do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast , put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
–What are some dangers of fasting? (Jesus warned of pride.)–What is the purpose of fasting according to Jesus: To please the Father.–What does Jesus mean, the Father will “reward” us?(The fasting and prayer is done to seek God, not mens approval.)
4. Take some time to discuss the five key words that describe what Jesus did for us on the cross: (Treat this like a pop-quiz. Who can get them all right. Encourage write in fly of the Bible)–Expiation: The removal of our sin and guilt.–Propitiation: Turning away of wrath by an offering.–Reconciliation: Removal of alienation from God.–Redemption: Brought back to God.–Substitution: Someone takes another’s place.
5. We spend a lot of time thinking about the sacrificed lamb representing Jesus. Take a moment and discuss how Jesus is also the “scape-goat.” –Scape-Goat: The high priest put his hands on it and symbolically transferred the sins of the nation to it. Jesus on the cross did that.–The Scape-Goat carried the sins far away from the camp of Israel. Representing sin is far.In Jesus, how forgiven are we? (Far as East is from the West) (Depths sea)–The Scape-Goat was not allowed to return.Once sin was removed from the camp and forgiven, it was not to be dwelt on.How do we hold on to sins?
6. Jesus represents three characters in the Day of Atonement. The Lamb, the Scape-Goat and the High Priest. How is Jesus our “High Priest” ?–He stands between us and God. He gives us access to God.–He carried his blood into the Holy of Holies in heaven.–We are priests who serve under him. (Called, “The Priesthood of the Believer.)This means: We do not need a human priest to: Pray, make atonement, deal with God.
7. How does this Holy Day help you see Jesus more clearly?–It helps to see him in Prophecy. All along the Bible was talking about Him.–It helps to see how much had to be done to deal with sin.