I HAVE A QUESTION – PART 4 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?March 14, 2021
Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?
Series: I Have a Question – Part 4
Life is full of asking and responding to questions.
Questions clarify understanding.
Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. (2 Timothy 4:2)
When you have to wait, remember what’s true.
(Jesus) said to them, “Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” (Luke 20:25)
- Honor matters.
- Love wins.
- Fearing God is a matter of heart-trust.
Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor. (1 Peter 2:13)
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15:13)
The Law is only as Good as the Gospel.
Picking up from last week, share a story about how you pointed others to Jesus and his Word this past week.
- In times of great tension or stress, how do you remember what is true?
- Read Luke 20:20-26. If you were in the crowd overhearing Jesus’ conversation with the spies, what might you be thinking and how might you react?
- Why do you think honor matters, love wins, and fearing God is a matter of heart-trust (as opposed to a matter of coercion or manipulation)?
- Share a time when honoring parents or others in authority was difficult.
- How has God “grown you up” when it comes to honoring and loving other people?
- How does the face of Jesus being stamped on your heart change how you feel about yourself in times of great tension or stress?
- How can you honor and love people this week? Come next week with a story to share about how you put this into practice