Throw Back Wednesday: Battle For Your Mind
July 21, 2021 / Ephesians 4:23
2 Corinthians 10:4-5
Battle For Your Mind
Ephesians 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind
Renewed Mind Defined:
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
- WHAT IS A STRONGHOLD?
“State of Mind” examples:
- Troubled Mind: 2 Kings 6:11 Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was greatly troubled by this thing; and he called his servants and said to them, “Will you not show me which of us is for the king of Israel?”
- Depraved Mind: 1 Timothy 6:5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
- Sinful Mind: Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
- Dull Mind: 2 Corinthians 4:4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
- Blinded Mind: 2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith;
6. Worried Mind: Proverbs 12:25 Anxiety in man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
III. FOUR PRINCIPLES FOR WINNING THE BATTLE OF YOUR MIND
- Don’t Believe Everything You Think
Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; Who can know it?
The optic nerve is the only nerve that goes directly to your brain. The optic nerve sends more impulses from the brain forward than from the eye backward. Realistically speaking, your brain communicates what you see.
- Guard Your Mind From Garbage
Proverbs 15:14 The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness.
Psalm 101:3 I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.
- Never Stop Learning
Matthew 11:28-29 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- Let God Stretch Your Imagination
- BIBLICAL EXAMPLES
- John The Baptist
John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
- Simon Peter
Matthew 16:15-17 15 Then Jesus said to his followers, “And who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered, “You are blessed, Simon son of Jonah. No one taught you that. My Father in heaven showed you who I am.
Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
- HOW DO I OVERCOME THE BATTLE OF THE MIND?
- Take Every Thought Captive
- Fight Back With Scripture
- Do Not Try To Distract Yourself
- Refuse To Give Up
Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- Spend some time to Examine Your Thoughts
- Snap Out Of It