Love Is Patient
1 Corinthians 13:4
UNDERSTAND – as I said last week this is an extremely critical study for us both as individual Jesus-followers and as a church.
- Because nothing is more important than love (in fact without love according 1 Corinthians 13:1-3… what you say, what you know, what you give, what you sacrifice, what you accomplish and even your faith does not matter… gains you nothing)
- Because nothing is more powerful than love (love has the power to change people, and love has the power to show the world that Jesus is real and that we are His followers)
- Because nothing is more needed then love…
We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in him. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. – 1 John 4:16
God does not just love, but He is Love
Creation was founded upon Love
In the beginning was LOVE… actually before the beginning there was God’s love.
YOU SEE – the truth is God’s love is both love the foundation and the very reason for our existence… LOVE – is why we are here… LOVE is what compelled creation.
And since God is eternal and always existing, LOVE is eternal and always existing.
He chose us before the world was made so that we would be his holy people—people without blame before him. Because of his love, God had already decided to make us his own children through Jesus Christ. That was what he wanted and what pleased him, – Ephesians 1:4-6
Do you ever wish the world, was a perfect place? BUT – unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world.
THAT’S WHY – everyday you and I are going to face things that are going to test our patience…
QUESTION – have you ever felt your patience being tested?
Was it tested at any time during the past week?
Like were there any moments when you felt like you were losing it, or actually did?
3 Areas of Focus When it Comes to Our Patience
- Things that test Our Patience
- Why Patience is So Important when it comes to love
- Developing that Patient Place
- Tests Of Our Patience
It’s good to know the things that test our Patience. Because we will recognize and be ready whenever those inevitable tests come our way. Five Basic categories and they all start with the letter (I)
- -to cut in, interfere with, intrusion Phone ring or someone interrupts while your talking
- – trouble or difficulty caused to one’s personal requirements or comfort like disruptions, problems, disturbances or vexations instant gratification that doesn’t happen
How do you deal with the inconveniences of life?
- – the state of feeling annoyed, impatient, or slightly angry. Creates areas of resentment, indignation Traffic jams, long lines
- the state of being inactive, idele How many have ever yelled at device or red light?
- How do you handle inactivity? Does it irritate you? Upset You?
- – (Like to Use the 4 Previous to test Our Patience)
- Do People Ever Test Your Patience?
- Why is Patience So Importantly Foundational When it Comes to Love?
- a) One Word:
This what life is all about
John 13:34 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Who do people see in you in your impatience?
GOD SAYS – that if you want healthy, growing, good relationships the first thing you need is patience.
In Greek Patience Means Makrothymia- to take a long time to boil. Having a long fuse
Patience is important because
- Everybody is Different
- Acts 17:26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.
- Gifts, talents, abilities, passions, interests
- Struggles, challenges, hurts, life experiences
- Morning Person, Night Owl, Introverts, extroverts
- Differences create Misunderstandings
- 1 Corinthians 2:11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
- HAVE – you used or thought any phrases like these recently?
- I don’t understand why he does that
- Why can’t they just get it
- He just doesn’t make any sense.
- How can they even think that way?
Why do they always have to get so emotional, so angry, so defensive, so hostile all the time?
- Why can’t they just be honest and straight with me
SO – can you relate to any of those?
BOTTOM LINE – we are all different and these differences create misunderstanding. YET – God says in
I Thessalonians 5:14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
“Be patient with everyone.”
- People See Statements in Different Ways
- IN FACT – there wouldn’t be any problems in any of our relationships if people just saw things your way.
- Your side of the argument is clear, their side is confusing.
- Your side of the issue is logical, their side is irrational.
- Your frustration is justified, theirs is unwarranted.
- What your saying makes perfect sense, what their saying, well the lights are on but nobody’s home.
AGAIN – outside of ‘biblical truth’ there are different ways of seeing things… different – perspectives, opinions, ideas…
And those who are striving to live out God’s kind of love can disagree without being disagreeable…
- What happens when we loose it when we loose our Patience
- Ephesians 4:26-30 In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, ²⁷and do not give the devil a foothold. ²⁸Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. ²⁹Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. ³⁰And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- Proverbs 14:17 A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident. 17He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.
3) Developing that Patient Place
- a) This is not optional, It’s a command from God
- b) Become Proficient at B.R. P.
- B- Breathe
- P- Pray
- R- Remember: The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.. 2 Peter 3:9
Remember how patient God has been with you.
If you were God would you put up with someone like you?
- c) Create some Margin in Your Life
the lack of margin that creates an environment where impatience can grow and flourish.
Margin is breathing room.
Margin is that little reserve that you’re not using up,
SO you’re not stretched to the limit,
SO you’re not going from one meeting to the next to the next with no space in between.
Margin is the space between your load and your limit.
- Accept that you have limits
- Romans 12:18 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
- Physical Limits
- Emotional Limits
- Mental Limits
- Prune Some Weeds
- Allow Time for the Unexpected
- Put downtime in Your Schedule
- Make Allowances for other people
- Ephesians 4:2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- Psalms 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret-it leads only to evil.
- Proverbs 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.
- Stay Connected to God
- Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. – John 15:4,5