Focused: Pt 2. UnShook
June 16, 2021 / Mark 4:35-41
Mark 4:35-41 NKJV
35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”
I. YOU HAVE HIS PRESENCE AND HIS PROMISE
a. Whatever The Circumstance, Remember He’s In It With You
b. Your Assignment Is What Guarantees Your Arrival
- Your Assignment is on the other side, so there is no way God is going to allow something to take you out between His Promise and You getting to the other side
- The Stuff that happens in between is only the stuff that’s needed to get you in the right posture
II. YOUR POSTURE REVEALS YOUR TRUST IN HIS PROVIDENCE
a. Remember That You’ve Seen God Work
- He Doesn’t Allow It Without There Being A Purpose
- What’s Chaos To You Is In Control With Him
- You’re Alive Because He Cares
b. If Your Faith Is Awake, You Can Go To Sleep
III. WHEN YOU PANIC, IT EXPOSES A LACK OF PREPARATION vs.38
A. There Are Some Storms Beyond Your Expertise
- When Jesus Reveals Something you better get ready for the test
- We All Have A Story
- My Confession: Matthew 16:16-18 16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah,for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, butMy Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not [a]prevail against it.
- My Condition: Matthew 16:22-25 ²²Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, LORD!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!” ²³Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” ²⁴Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. ²⁵For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.
- Your Crisis Should Push You To The ChristPsalm 119:71 NKJV71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes
- Proverbs 3:5-6
- Life is like a mentor
- Life is like a school
- Lidt is a gift
IV. YOUR PEACE IS GREATER THAN YOUR PROBLEM
a. What You Say with Your Mouth Becomes the State Of Your Mind vs. 39
- Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
- Luke 6:45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
- Proverbs 13:3 Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin.
- Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- Proverbs 15:23 A man has joy by the answer of his mouth, And a word spoken [a]in due season, how good it is!
b. What comes out of your mouth is what shapes your reality
- Romans 4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
c. God Is About to Bring Calm To Your Storm