Greater Than Moses
November 22, 2020
Main Scripture Reference(s)
Greater Than Moses
November 22, 2020 / Jeff Kliewer / Hebrews 3:1-6 / Cornerstone Church
Jesus is categorically greater than the greatest of all men.
Greatness is in the eye of the beholder of Jesus.
- John 12:20-26 “Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks. So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, “Sir, we wish to see Jesus.” Philip went and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
The path to greatness is mapped out in a word: FAITHFULNESS.
- Hebrews 11 describes those who walk “by faith”.
Jesus is categorically greater than the one considered “G.O.A.T.”.
Moses testified not to his own greatness but to Christ’s greatness.
- John 5:45-47 “Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?”
Our future glorification is anticipated by faithfulness in a few things.
- Matthew 24:45 ff “Who then is the faithful and wise servant…”
- 2 Timothy 2:11-13 “If we are faithless” Be faithful; Don’t trust your faithfulness.
- Colossians 1:23 “if indeed you continue in the faith…”
- 1 John 2:19 “They went out from us, but they were not of us…”
- Romans 14:4 “..And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand”
- Jude 24-25 “Now to him who is able to keep you…”
- Philippians 2:12-13 “work out your own salvation..it is God who works in you”
To be found FAITHFUL must become the primary pursuit of our lives. Define greatness and success as faithfulness. Reject antinomianism (lawlessness) and reject the easy-believism of what so often calls itself Christianity here in America. Instead be earnest about being found faithful when Christ comes. Keep looking to Him in His Word. Keep considering His greatness.