God with Us: God on the SceneDecember 11, 2022 / Dr. Clayton Chisum / Central Baptist Church of Owasso
God on the Scene
God with Us
December 11, 2022
Dr. Clayton Chisum
John 1:14 (ESV)
Without the truth here, the Bible doesn’t make sense
The Greek word, “logos,” meaning “the expression of a thought.” It was used to describe God’s written message and used by Jesus to link himself and the written Word of God.
Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)
John 5:39 (NLT)
John was introducing Jesus to both groups as the “logos.”
Jesus didn’t come into existence on Christmas day, rather “becoming flesh” was the transformation as a human. “Flesh” does not refer to a sinful nature here, but rather human.
Philippians 2:5-11 (NLT)
Jesus became man to be the Savior of mankind!
Hebrews 10:5-7 (NLT)
“God in ”
Luke 2:1-5 (NLT)
Luke 2:6-7 (NLT)
Luke 2:8-20 (NLT)
Galatians 2:20 (NLT)
3 World-Changing Statements:
1. If Jesus did not become human,
He is our advocate; He knows what you’re going through and how it feels
Hebrews 4:15-16 (NLT)
2. If Jesus did not become human,
He’s our example of how to live, respond, think, feel, and act.
Ephesians 5:1-2 (NLT)
3. If Jesus did not become human,
The reason Jesus came to earth!
1 Timothy 1:15 (NLT)
= “God with Us”
Jesus is Immanuel.
Colossians 2:9 (NLT)
Small Group Discussion
- Take prayer requests and pray as a group.
- What’s your favorite Christmas memory? Family tradition?
- What are your thoughts on the term “THE WORD” when the Bible describes Jesus in John 1? Is that term confusing? Helpful?
- Does the story of Jesus’ birth seem distant and fuzzy, or can you imagine what it must have looked like? What are your thoughts on the Church of the Nativity and the Shepherd’s Field in Bethlehem?
- Discuss the significance of the Incarnation (Jesus becoming human).
- Which statement(s) hit you the most? Why?
- If Jesus did not become human, he could not be tempted.
- If Jesus did not become human, he could not be our example.
- If Jesus did not become human, he could not die.
- How has this message helped you to understand and experience the birth of Jesus more fully?