The Problem of ChristmasDecember 19, 2021
The Message of Christmas –
- The problem
- Controversy –
- Intention – to guard against an over-emphasis on Jesus’
- Interpretation –
- at stake –
- Personalities –
- Politics, power, pride, and
Three Quick Lessons
- Christians must learn to as well as we .
- Churches sometimes do the right thing the way.
- Our Savior has a different path to power: . Be wary of political power.
- God makes lines with sticks.
2. The to the problem
The Four Great Christological Passages
1 – The word was
2 – He made all things
14 – The Word became
14 – Dwelt among us
6 – Already existed as
7 – Took on the nature of a
16 – All things created through him
19 – All the fullness of God dwells in him
18 – The firstborn from the dead
20 – Made peace through
3 – The radiance of  glory
3 – Provided purification for
Athanasian Creed –
3. What the does
Because Jesus is human …
- He was the most human who ever lived.
- His trials were . “One who in every respect has been tempted as we are” Hebrews 4:15
- He knows from the inside. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us.” 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Jesus’ bodily sacrifice was .
Because Jesus is God …
- The is utterly scandalous.
- The must be serious.
- We must re-orient our lives .