He Who OvercomesJuly 18, 2021
He Who Overcomes
3 Words that are repeated 8 times in the book of Revelation along with the call “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches”. Maybe we should pay close attention to these statements and understand how they impact our lives.
The book of Revelation is a prophetic book that deals with the culmination of all things. It reveals the plans and purposes of God for the end. It is amazing that we can read and know what to expect and actually watch the events unfold.
Lets open the Word of God…
Revelation 1:3 (NLT)
3 God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near.
Revelation 22:18-19 (NKJV)
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
He Who Overcomes
1) Revelation 2:7 (NKJV)
7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”’
– To eat from the Tree of Life
– Jesus is that Tree of life
– There is also a Tree of Life that is fed by the pure river of water of life that proceeds from the throne of God. Revelation 22:1&2
2) Revelation 2:11 (NKJV)
11 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’
– Not be hurt by the second death
– Second Death – Eternal separation from God
– Revelation 20:6,14&15
3) Revelation 2:17 (NKJV)
17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”’
– Give hidden manna to eat
– Give a white stone with a new name written on it
– Jesus is the Bread of Life – John 6:31-35;48-51
– White Stone with a new name written on it
4) Revelation 2:26-29 (NKJV)
26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—
27 ‘He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’—
as I also have received from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star.
29 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
– Give power over the nations – Matthew 19:28-29
– Give the morning star – 2 Peter 1:19, Revelation 22:16
5) Revelation 3:5-6 (NKJV)
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
– Clothed in white garments – Revelation 19:8
– Name will not be blotted out from the Book of Life – Philippians 4:3, Revelation 20:15, Luke 10:20
– I (Jesus) will confess his name before My Father and His angels
Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8
– White Robes of Righteousness – Revelation 7:9,13&14, 19:14
– Assurance of Salvation – Name written in the Book of Life – God’s record of the the redeemed – Revelation 20:12-15
6) Revelation 3:12-13 (NKJV)
12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’
– Make him a pillar in the temple of My God – 1 Kings 7:21
– I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God – Revelation 22:4, Revelation 14:22
7) Revelation 3:21-22 (NKJV)
21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”'”
– I will grant to sit with Me on My throne – Ephesians 1:20-23
– We are Kings and Priests – Seated with Him in Heavenly places – Revelation 1:5-6
– Granted authority
– Revelation 20:4, Matthew 19:28, 2 Timothy 2:12
How do I Overcome/Who is an Overcomer
1 John 5:4-5 (NKJV)
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
– Being Born Again
– A Life of Faith in Jesus Christ
Revelation 21:6-8 (NKJV)
6 And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
– He who overcomes shall inherit all things – Hebrews 6:11-12, Galatians 5:19-21,
– I will be his God and he shall be My son – Hebrews 8:10
Salvation is a free gift. You cannot earn it through works or by being good enough. Jesus paid the price for the salvation of all who would put their faith in Him. We overcome by our faith in Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul stated at the end of his life in 2 Timothy 4:7 that he had finished the race and he had kept the faith. Overcoming is not merely about works, but it is about a working faith. James says in James 2:20 that faith without works is dead. Salvation is received by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8). But faith produces good works because of salvation and a right relationship with God. Endurance, steadfastness are important to the life of a believer. We make choices everyday to live a life of salvation.