Built to Last
February 20, 2022
Built to Last
Why do marriages fail? Breakdown of relationship…
Why do people leave the church? Breakdown of relationship…
Why do children stray from God? Breakdown of relationship…
Why do friendships fail? Breakdown of relationship…
“Everything rises and falls on relationships”
I believe the outcomes of our lives are directly related to our relationships. So if I get this aspect of my life wrong, then I believe the successfulness of my life and the fulfillment in my life will be diminished.
“Our Lives are Products of the Relationships in Our Lives”
– Relationships were established by God
- Relationship with God Genesis 1, 2, 3 God spoke to them
- Relationship with Spouse Genesis 2:18, 21-25 God established marriage
- Relationship with Children/Parents Genesis 4 – Cain & Abel
- Relationship with the Body of Christ – The Church –
- Relationship with the World
What was the primary thing that satan attacked in the Garden?
- Relationships are founded upon the greatest commandments.
Matthew 22:37-40 (NKJV)
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
- Relationships find their strength in Covenant
The world sees relationships as contracts, God sees them as covenant.
Contracts are written to protect your rights.
Covenant is engaged in to take up responsibility.
Covenant is relationship built upon responsibility…
Genesis 2:21 – Bone of may bone, flesh of my flesh
1 Corinthians 12:12-27 – Members of One Another
Ephesians 4:16 (NKJV)
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
In Covenant Relationship
1. We give up priority – priority is demonstrated not said
2. We give up ownership – ours, not mine
3. We give up privacy – need to be able to share deepest secrets – safety to share
Pick up Responsibilities Lay Down Rights
1. Love unconditionally – We live from love, not for love.
1 John 4
2. Honor – Honor, Trust, Respect – can’t be demanded – must be freedom to Honor one another
Romans 12:10; 1 Corinthians 12:23; Ephesians 6:2
3. Submit Mutually – Ephesians 5:21
All Relationships must begin with a Proper Foundation
The majority of relationships fail because the foundation gives way – if a relationship is built on a strong foundation – it will succeed.
I am responsible for my part not theirs.
Who does God say that I am and who has He declared me to be to another person(s). Who I am In Christ…
Finding the right person, building right relationships is not about you finding the right person it is more about you being the right person…you being spiritual…
All relationships in your life begin with YOU.
Many times we are pointing the finger at everyone else and how they are not doing their part and therefore the cause of the breakdown of the relationship. We tend to blame others for the success or failure of relationships in our lives.
We have examined relationships, but I want to end with asking you a question – a vital question.
Are you the person you are looking for?