God’s Wedding VowsApril 11, 2021 / Exodus 20:
A few things every Christian needs to know about the 10 Commandments.
Exodus 20:1-21 | Deuteronomy 6:1-6 | Matthew 5:17-19, 19:16-19 | Hebrews 8:13.
- God wants to be → .
- The is the only commandment that isn’t in the New Testament but is still a huge deal to God.
- Believers are called to as a life with God – not a to measure our compared to other .
Two things every Christian needs to know about the Jewish Law (as a whole).
Matthew 5:17-48, 27:50-51 | James 2:10-11 | Revelation 5:7-10 | John 19:30 | Galatians 3:24 | Romans 6:14
Hebrews 10:1-14 | Acts 11:1-18.
- Jesus it (he didn’t it) by revealing its .
- If Jesus or the New Testament or it, we’re called to it (otherwise we are no longer by it).
KEEP IT SIMPLE: Love . Love .
Deuteronomy 6:1-6 | Matthew 22:34-40
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
SCHEDULING NOTE: The week of May 16th will be the last “study” night. If you would like to plan a party with your group, you can do so the week of May 23rd. Please exercise discretion if you choose to meet up in person (outdoors, masked, and distant).
What Do You Think?
What struck a chord with you from Sunday’s service?
The story of your life.
- Pastor Kyle discussed the 10 Commandments on Sunday. In what ways was the message similar to what you already understood about them? In what ways was it different?
- The term “The 10 Commandments” is well known even if most people don’t truly understand their significance. Growing up, which did you associate most with the 10 Commandments?
- A Charlton Heston Movie.
- Something I memorized and can repeat to this day.
- My parents quoted them to keep me in line.
- Would help me get to Heaven.
- The ultimate sins you shouldn’t do.
Digging Deeper in God’s Word.
- The purpose of God’s commandments has been misunderstood over time and yet still passed on in church and in homes. As we grow more in our faith and understanding of God’s Word, we have the opportunity to help family and friends more closely align with God’s truth. How does Deuteronomy 6:1-9, 24-25 help us better understand how to apply the principles of the 10 Commandments in our lives?
- As most of us hear “you shall not make or bow down to an idol,” we probably think we’re doing just fine. Yet many of us are unaware that an idol (aka “other god”) can be anything in life that we’ve made more important than God. As you read through this list, write down how each could become an idol. Next, read through the corresponding verses and jot down any truths or new insights that might help someone deal with an idol in their life.
- POSSESSIONS: Luke 16:13; 1 John 2:15-17.
- RELATIONSHIPS: Galatians 5:13.
- PERFORMANCE: Colossians 3:17.
- PERFECTIONISM: Romans 3:23.
- WORK: Luke 10:40-41.
- Pastor Kyle mentioned that though we are no longer under Jewish Law, there are some very useful principles in the 10 Commandments that still apply to our lives today. One of the most helpful commandments has to do with the Sabbath and God’s reminder for us to rest. What can be learned from the following verses about how God can work in us when we take time for rest and refreshment?
- John 7:37-39.
- Hebrews 4:14-16.
- Can you think of any times where God renewed or refreshed you in a similar way?
Personal reflection and application.
- Have everyone share one thing someone else said that stood out to you.
- Pray for one another.