To Live Is Christ: Paul in ChristFebruary 21, 2021 / Lombard Bible Church
Sermon Series: To Live Is Christ
Message 6: Paul in Christ
Lombard Bible Church
Your Own Sermon Notes:
Discussion Questions on Philippians 3, for Life Groups & other discussion venues
- Why do you think Paul writes in vs.1 “It’s no bother for me, to keep repeating this same phrase, ‘Rejoice in the Lord’!” ?
- Though he calls for unity and harmony several times throughout the letter to the Philippians, in Phil 3:2 he warns the church to avoid and beware of people whom he harshly calls “dogs, evil doers, false-circumcision.” Why the change?
How might we apply such differentiation in our own dealings with different kinds of people? Should we “treat everyone the same”?
- How might we make contemporary for ourselves Paul’s urgent prohibition against “having confidence in the flesh”? What does that expression mean – in his day; in ours? What kinds of secondary requirements do we add to ‘mere Christianity’ ?
- After listing his own “resume” of qualifications in which he could take pride, if he wanted to (vss 4-6), what does he say about them ‘now’ (Phil 3:7-9)? To what end? (Phil 3:10-11)
- Continuing: how does Paul summarize his past, present, and future (Phil 3:12-14) ?
- Does Paul expect others to do as he does (Phil 3:12-17) ? Do the “others” include you?
- What, precisely, does Paul focus upon as his–and OUR–future goal point? (Phil 3:20-4:1) What do we have to look forward to? How does that affect how we live now?