Lombard Bible Church
JESUS KING: Jesus’ Power Encounter With Legion
September 5, 2021
JESUS KING: Jesus’ Power Encounter With LegionSeptember 5, 2021
SERMON SERIES: JESUS KING
MESSAGE 5: JESUS’ POWER ENCOUNTER WITH LEGION
SEPTEMBER 5, 2021
LOMBARD BIBLE CHURCH
Questions for the LBC Life Groups
Jesus’ Power Encounter with Legion
- Do you believe in the following spirits? Explain why or why not? The Holy Spirit, Angelic spirits, Demonic spirits
- Read the following missional passages of the Gospel of Mark: 1:13, 21-28, 32-34, 39; 3:11-15, 22-30; 4:4, 15; 5:1-20; 6:7, 13; 7:25, 30; 8:33; 9:17-29, 38-39; 16:17. What do you observe about the ministry of Jesus Christ? What do you detect about the mission of the early disciples?What is the application of this repetitive missional pattern for the LBC?
- Read Mark 1:24; 3:11; 5:7. What do these passages tell us about Jesus and God? How do the demons know about the Lord? Why are the unclean spirit(s) declaring these truths?
- Read Mark 5:1-20 concerning Jesus of Nazareth’s power encounter with Legion of the Gerasenes. List the characteristics of Legion before he confronted Jesus. See verses 2-5, 8-14.List the features of Legion after he met Jesus. See verses 6-7, 15, 18-20. Compare and contrast the lists. What does your observation mean for believers today? What is the application of your interpretation for the LBC?
- Review the following geographic locations of Jesus’ ministry recorded in the Gospel of Mark using a New Testament map from the back of your Bible: 1:9, 12, 14, 16, 21, 35, 39, 45; 2:1, 13, 23; 3:1, 7, 9, 13, 20; 4:1, 35. What do you observe about the locations? How does Jesus’ operational influence and message change in Mark 5:1 when he crosses the Sea of Galilee to the Gerasenes? What is the application of your insight for the LBC?
MARK 5 READINGS
- Day 1 – Read Mark 5:1-20
- Day 2 – Read Mark 5:21-34
- Day 3 – Read Mark 5:21-24, Mark 5:35-43
After each day answer the following questions:
(1) What shocked or surprised you from this Scripture?
(2) What don’t you understand from this Scripture?
(3) What would you tell someone else, is the main idea of this section?
(4) What does this Scripture teach you about God? What does it teach you about yourself?
(5) If the story is true, how will you live differently?