Hope In The DarknessDecember 27, 2020 / Romans 5:3-5
- God doesn’t waste a (Romans 5:3-5)
“Not only is all your affliction momentary; not only is all your affliction light in comparison to eternity and the glory there; but all of it is TOTALLY MEANINGFUL. Every millisecond of your pain—from the fallen nature or the fall of man—every millisecond of your misery in the path of obedience is producing a peculiar glory you will get because of that. I don’t care if it was cancer or criticism. I don’t care if it was slander or sickness. It wasn’t meaningless. It’s DOING something. It’s not meaningless. It’s not. It’s working for you an eternal weight of glory. Therefore, do not lose heart, but take these truths and day by day focus on them. Preach them to yourself every morning. Get alone with God and preach His word into your mind until your heart SINGS with confidence that you are new and cared for.” – John Piper; excerpts from sermon “The Glory of God in the Sight of Eternity” (July 26, 2013)
- God is still in (Isaiah 55:8-9)
- God is always (Psalm 145:9)
Questions to Consider
- In this past year when you have had moments of struggling and suffering, what are some ways that you have seen God build perseverance and character?
- Thinking about how our suffering is not in vain and not meaningless, what are some ways that you have seen God working during the hard times?
- What comfort and hope do you find knowing that God is in control and that His ways are higher than our ways?
- It’s easy to look at the bad things and ask God the question, “Why”? As we prepare for 2021, what different perspective can you approach in this new year that instead focuses on God’s goodness?