Laurelwood Baptist Church
God, The Government, and Me
March 8, 2020
Main Scripture Reference(s)
God, The Government, and MeMarch 8, 2020 / 13:
by Pastor Mike Wilde
“Is it lawful to give a poll-tax to Caesar, or not?” (Matthew 22:17)
“Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and render to God the things that are God’s.” (Matthew 22:21)
How do we render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s?
You, as a Christian are called to to your government.
How do we to our government?
- Fear and
We render to Caesar what is Caesar’s unless Caesar demands we disobey what God commands.
But how do we render to God the things that are God’s?
is an ongoing obligation we have to all people.
Questions to Consider
- According to Paul, why should we obey those who appointed to rule over us? Are there other “authorities” we are called to obey? What might those be?
- What are the benefits for obeying rulers and what are the consequences for not obeying? Does anyone have a personal testimony of benefiting from obedience or feeling the consequences of disobedience?
- What might be an legitimate time where disobedience to authority is warranted?
- What does loving your neighbor look like for you?
- How does the soon return of Christ influence how you will choose to live today?