May 23, 2021 / 1 Thessalonians 4:1-18
You need different kinds of fellowship.
Your Fellowship Has Sticky Issues (Colossians 3:16)
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God; and that no man transgress and defraud his brother in the matter because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we also told you before and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification.” 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7
Your Fellowship Has Sticky Issues
- Abstain from sexual immorality
- God is the avenger
Your Fellowship Needs Good Words (Romans 15:14)
“for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.” 1 Thessalonians 4:10-12
Your Fellowship Needs Good Words
- Excel in love
- Lead a quiet life
- Behave properly towards outsiders
- Don’t be a financial drain
Your Fellowship Provides Comfort Words (Galatians 6:2)
“But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. .. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13,14,16,17
Your Fellowship Provides Comfort Words
- Don’t grieve without hope
- Christ will bring (back) those asleep in Christ
- The dead in Christ shall rise
- We will be raptured to meet Christ
Questions To Consider
- What are God’s desires for our sexuality?
- How is the Christian’s sexual conduct to be different from that of the non-Christian?
- What is the result of living a quiet, respected, and responsible life?
- How is a Christian’s grief over the loss of a loved one different from a non-Christian’s grief?
- How do the media influence our attitudes about sex?
- What influence on people and society can a hardworking, quiet person have?
- What can you do to maintain your purity?