Building Strong Families
June 5, 2021 / Matthew 7:24-27
BUILDING STRONG FAMILIES
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
1. Scripture Study
2. A Game Plan for Families
“Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.”
Role of parent is to to the of his/her child in such a way to prepare that child to more easily to the of God
Balancing Grace & Truth
Need to be guided by the and tempered by
– Truth without grace(love), can be harsh & unforgiving
– Grace without truth can lead to destructive behaviour
– Grace brings ; truth can bring
– It’s not about perfection, but and
2. Three Inner Needs
– Everyone feels the need to be , to feel their life has a and that they have a for the future.
– Recognizing and understanding these three inner needs are essential to building a strong foundation for families, as well as being better parents, children, spouses, friends & colleagues.
Inner Need #1 : A Secure Love
Everyone (adults & children) has a driving need for . When it is met, it gives a that they are .
People (Children/Teens/Adults) feel a in their hearts when they:
I. Know they are as they are
II. Know they are with a loving and honouring family
III. Receive regular & generous helpings of
Inner Need #2 : A Significant Purpose
Everyone has a driving inner need for . When it is met, it gives a that they have a in life.
People (Children/Teens/Adults) feel a in their lives when:
I. They are regularly
II. They receive individual and focus
III. They are gracefully and disciplined
Inner Need #3 : A Strong Hope
Everyone has a driving inner need for . When it is met, it gives a that they have to face each day.
People (Children/Teens/Adults) develop a in their hearts when:
I. They recognise their God-given and develop them
II. They are encouraged to live a life of spiritual where they are forced to trust God
III. Their childhood is turned into a series of positive
Call to Commitment
- What is God calling you to do? To build your house on the rock…or the sand?
- What is your game plan for your family? How do you want the endgame to be?
- Will you commit yourself and your family to be a Household of Faith?