Jurong SDA Church
July 31, 2021
Main Scripture Reference(s)
July 31, 2021 / Luke 10:41-42
People who are burnt out tend to be more and are susceptible to developing a mental health condition.
Serving God becomes a , and we drag out feet to do what we feel we have no choice but to.
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
– Luke 10:38-41
Am I Burnt Out?
- I can’t shake the pressure I feel from having too much to do in too little time.
- I am ignoring the stress, anxiety and tightness of my body.
- I am concerned with what others think.
- I am often fearful of the future.
- I am always rushing.
- I am defensive and easily offended.
- I am preoccupied and distracted.
- I fire off quick opinions and judgments.
- I feel unethusiastic about or threatened by the success of others.
- I spend more time talking than listening
We burnout because we our cares for our work, school, family and church over our care for Jesus.
Mary being with Jesus before doing for Jesus, and so she would never burn out
The Best Way to Beat Burnout is to with Jesus
3 Ways to Beat Burnout
- Make a decision
- Feel your
- with Jesus throughout the day
Make a Radical Decision
If you don’t make a radical decision to change to Be with Jesus, things will change.
Feel your feelings
- Why am I always in a hurry?
- Why am I so impatient?
- What is that anxiety about?
- Why am I so angry?
- Why am I so sad?
Give yourself time to feel what you need to feel, to get in with our heart and understand ourselves better.
Commune with Jesus Throughout the Day
We spend so much time on our . Let’s convert that time to ‘being’ with Jesus.
You can spend time with Jesus while you:
- Take care of children