Walk the Walk — Part 3March 17, 2021
Walk the Walk – Part 3
-Identity (ī-ˈden-tə-tē): the truth of who I am (including who I perceive myself to be) that alerts me to my personal value, directs my personal choices, and determines the direction of my worship.
*In at least 7 occurrences in this letter to the Ephesian believers, Paul references the idea of walking: περί πατέω (peripateō)–to make one’s way, progress; to make due use of opportunities (Eph. 2:2, 10; 4:1, 17; 5:2, 8, 15)
I. Our Identity Strengthens Our (Ephesians 5:22-6:4)
A. Marital submission a believer’s submission to Christ. (Ephesians 5:22-24)
- Submission is a personal choice to yield. (22a) Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands
- Submission is ultimately done as unto the Lord. (22b) as unto the Lord
- Submission reflects an of God’s plan. (23) For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
- Wives can rest in this submission as the church does in Christ. (24) Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
B. Husbands create a thirst for Christ when they love Christ. (Ephesians 5:25-29)
- This is a self-sacrificing love. (25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
- This is a love (26-27) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
- This is an extremely attentive love (28-29a) So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it
- This is a love. (29b-30) even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
C. Marriage is a sacred relationship with a sacred . (Ephesians 5:31-33)
- There’s a to be understood. (31-32) For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
- There are roles to fulfill. (33) Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
D. The parent/child relationship is Christ-oriented too. (Ephesians 6:1-4)
- and honor are God-oriented. (1-2a) Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother
- Obedience and honor come with a promise. (2b-3) which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
- Christ-identified parenting is biblically intentional. (4) And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
II. Our Identity Solidifies Other Relationships (Ephesians 6:5-9)
A. Horizontal submission is done in Christ and with (Ephesians 6:5) Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ
B. Live for an Audience of One. (Ephesians 6:6-9) Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.
III. Our Identity Equips Us for Spiritual Success (Ephesians 6:10-20)
A. Success in each next step is found in the Lord and power. (10) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
B. Know that spiritual warfare is . (11-12) Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
C. God has given us, in Christ, equipment for success. (13-20) Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- (14a) – having your loins girt about with truth
- Obeying (14b) – having on the breastplate of righteousness
- Sharing (15) – your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace
- (16-17a) – shield of faith…quench all the fiery darts of the wicked…helmet of salvation ____________________________________________________
- Bible (17b) – sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
- (18-20) – Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching…And for me…
*Our identity puts us . (21-24) But that ye also may know my affairs, and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things: Whom I have sent unto you for the same purpose, that ye might know our affairs, and that he might comfort your hearts. Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.