One Day at a Time LiberationJune 17, 2020 / Matthew 6:34
“One Day at a Time Liberation”
-I just want to take you on a little journey through this passage that the Lord has been using to work on me lately and hope you will find some similar help as I have found.
3 parts to Jesus’ solution to worry:
A. Singular Service (24) No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
-In teaching on not letting money master us, Jesus is teaching us a much broader principle too: Don’t let master you but God!
B. Safe Submission (25-32)
-Our most common worries often center upon needs — …Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. (25)
-Jesus points out:
1. His care over the parts of creation — Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? (26)
2. Futility of worrying — Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? (27)
3. in trusting — And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. (28-32)
C. Switched Significance (33-34)
-v. 33 tells us what’s truly worthy of our thought energy — But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
-When that switch happens, it allows you to take it one day at a time — Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (34)
B. Enacted Wisdom
D. Embraced Worship
B. External Challenge
-Maybe it’s been long enough and it’s time to reach out for some help:
2. Purposeful Bible searching
3. Pointed from a biblical counsellor
*“One day at a time” living is a privilege offered to us by the Lord Himself! It’s something we to do!